Some of my IO salt

rrubberbandman

doesnt seem to wanna dissolve all the way.....its been circulating now for @ 12 hours....

i thought i had the bag sealed pretty good...but.....?????

any thoughts....is my salt unusable?

Bryan

how much salt is in there. usually if you put too much it wont dissolve

right now it showing....1.027 @ 77 degrees

I have the same issue with some I/O salt which I just bought. My water has been circulating for...hold on...10 days while I was on vacation. It's at 79 deg and at 1.025. I am figuring that this is an errant bag. It does not seem to make a noticable difference in the tank after I add it in, but I too am curious as to the why. :why:

Edited by NRehman

There was a thread on CMAS awhile back on this problem. Cause there was water being added to salt instead of the salt being added to the water. Don't know why it would make a difference but apparently it does with IO

If your unsure, test the ALK and Ca.

If that checks out OK, I'd use it.

In my experiences, salt that is left in the hot sun where it accumilates moisture in the bag becomes bad news. The mix binds together and clumps becomes unsoluable with the integrity of the mixed batch in question.

Update>>>>

all salt dissolved.....slowly but surely.....it read 1.025 @ 80 degrees at 2pm and read the same @ 10 pm tonight...so i used it......all is well.

ph monitor showed a drop from 8.29 to 8.22 then right back to 8.3 ish....xenia and star polyps stayed open etc etc.

Bryan

Next time you get some IO, buy it in the bucket. Then when it is gone, refill with the bagged or bulk boxed. The lid is air tight. I use a hammer as recommend on the lid to ensure a tight seal.