flat worms

Guest tgallo

Guest tgallo
ive got flat worms ive got flat worms,  should i cry now or just let it go. :angry:

Let it go.

Are you using a DSB?  Mandarin or Six-line?  Some people have had some success with these fish.  Keep an eye on them.  They tend to gather in low light areas where detritus accumulates.

Good luck.

Guest tgallo
hey tony, no deep sand bed here. thinking about trying a wrasse, in the meen while ill do the usuall water change and try to keep dom to a minimal.  :(

I picked up flatworms about 3 months ago.  I do know the source: donation of stuff from an infected tank.  Don't know why, but they crashed entirely out of my system 1 month ago.  Haven't seen them since.

I tried and tried to vacuum them out, dip stuff they were on w/RODI fresh water, and they always came back.

Yet they crashed and died off anyway.  I decided they were part of the tank and let it go.  Painful decision, but I could not come up with any other solution.

s

I agree, let it go.

Flat worms may not be the most appealing creatures to have in your tank, but they do not hurt anything.  Once you have them, they seem to go in cycles.  You will see hundreds one time, almost none just a few weeks later.  I introduced them in my tank from a local store and I have noticed that their number has decreased quite a bit in the past month.  I suppose they are running out of food.

If they really bother you, you can syphon them out.  Use a small tube so you don't pull oot too much water at the same time.

Good Luck,

Eddi

Guest cbo

I agree that just letting nature run its course is the safest route and if your flatworms go away naturally that is best.  However, I had them in my 6 gallon nano for over 5 months with some swings in population, but they where always present above a bothersome level.  If you look back at my posts on Greenex from before thanksgiving you can see the results of dosing my tank with about 1/2 the recommended amount of Greenex.  My only casualty was a Green striped mushroom( which is still not dead, just does not expand like it used to and has produced some healthy 'clones') which was directly underneath the water flow where I dosed the med.  It has been about 4 months now and I have not seen a flatworm since.

Anyway I sent the Greenex with Larry G. to the fall meeting where I believe it was picked up by Andreay.  Good luck.

cbo

Man what I wouldn't give just to have to deal with flatworms!  I resumed the battle with the bloody aptasia 2 nights ago as they are taking up valuable real estate and stinging some of the corals and the mystery anenome- nuked the h*ll out of them by feeding them kalk paste- only one has returned and he looks like he took a beating but will probably be waving his middle tentacle and sticky out his oral disk at me by tonight.  I know they will return though!  I have not had luck with shrimp for the last year.  There is only one in the main system- I keep throwing the others in other tank (or fuge)  as I strongly suspect they will become dinner for someone in the tank (probably the big momma clown? though I also have a blennie that I wouldn't put it past-).  Butterfly is out of the question, so are nudibrachs.....  I suppose it would help if I didn't feed the tank- but then all the other animals would not be happy.

Tony,

I had some flatworms for a while and have to siphon them in the crowded areas, strong currents are definatelly a no no for them. also Lepard wrasse will eat them but will not finish them all. Another option is if you find a place that sell's a Chelidonura varia or hammer head Nudibranch they only feed on flat worms,that will definatelly take care of them.

I've been trying to get some but they are hard to find.

chelidonura_varia.jpg

to be honest I never had a casualty because of the flatworms but still I would like them out of my tank

:angry:  :D

Guest Scott324
I saw one of those wierd looking things at Roozens a couple weeks ago.  You may want to check there.

The one's they have are similar but dont have the shape of the head like a hammer, and some of those slugs feed mainly in sponges,there is another one that feeds mainly in Aiptasia and is the Berghia, all this little buggers are so hard to get only when you need them!  :D

I was at roozens sat. They did have a few of the hammer head Nudibranch in stock ($65). I saw them eating flatworms. they would solve your problems.

Guest tgallo
thanks guys , i will give them a try. robz  you must teach me how to take such awsome photos and your web page is second to none keep up the good work. :D