Size for a reef tank

FishWife

I have a new (to me; bought used) 80 Gallon bow, reef-ready, Perfecto tank. We are returning to the hobby after a five year absence, and are amazed at all that's changed. Consequently, we are reading before doing.

It seems that in many books, since people are now having success at keeping live corals (which is my interest, too) 80 gallon reef tanks can be quickly outgrown. Is this a correct perception, in your experience? (Here, I'm hoping for ACTUAL experience, rather than what anyone's read in books or seen online.)

TIA for replies.

Edited by FishWife

Corals will outgrow anything from a 1 gallon pico to a 300 gallon tank. My own personal experience is from tanks ranging from 10 to 90 gallons, and none of them has ever had enough room for all the corals I wanted, but that's just because I want everything.

Basically, you need to choose your species wisely and prune (frag) regularly.

An 80 gallon tank will work just fine.

I love the way the 80 bow front looks, but I settled for a 75 I wish I could have a bigger tank.

Edited by mexicanjavafish

(edited)

VERY nice...

So, I never have done these. How do you "frag" (I know it means "to prune and thus create a fragment which can be sold/given out of the tank") when the time comes?

And, can you move corals you don't prune, if you want to... say... someday put a bigger tank where the 80 bow is now???

Edited by FishWife

VERY nice...

So, I never have done these. How do you "frag" (I know it means "to prune and thus create a fragment which can be sold/given out of the tank") when the time comes?

And, can you move corals you don't prune, if you want to... say... someday put a bigger tank where the 80 bow is now???

Yes, you can move corals. Most people attach the corals to rocks with various glues and epoxies. When possible, you just move the entire rock with the coral on it. Someone I know glued all of her corals down with thick gel super-glue; and was able to remove the colonies. I use epoxy; in most cases, I'd need a chisel to get it off the rock.

bob

I have a 72g bow front, but wished I would've gone with the 90g bow front. Same footprint, but the 90g is just a few inches taller. I was worried that the 90g would be too tall and not enough light would penetrate to the bottom, but it's really not that difficult to place the more light demanding corals up higher.

Decide where you want to put the tank and get the largest size tank that would fit (within reason of course).

VERY nice...

We will be having a fragging session at the Fall meeting, and possibly another function, in the next 2 months.

Keep an eye out for meetings

sorry to get of topic but does anyone know when the fall meeting is going to take place.

I've been wondering the exact same thing

i would agree with the space issue. i have a 180 and i am already planning an upgrade. my elegance is out growing the section of the tank that i gave it. i would say that if you are worried about growth be more selective with corals you have. and maybe get 20000k lights rather than 10000k lights for your corals .they wont grow as fast under the bluer light