wats a good anenome to start with?

Guest Maynard

Guest Maynard

sup guys...im planning to get a pair of clowns and i was wondering wats a good anenome to start with?

Bubble tips or BTA's. There are green and rose colored. See if you can get a clone or propagated one as it save some off the reefs... Should also go into an "established" tank.

When I first got into the hobby, I tested my waters with a $4 "condy" anenome from Petco. No need to go spend $50 or more on an anenome that might die if you're tank isn't ready. Just an idea.

Guest Maynard

yea I have an established tank, its been 4 months now since I finish the cycle, it has already a Picasso trigger, some damsels and a blue tang

Most people say a established tank is a year or older. It all depends on the circumstances however. Most anenomes like prestine water conditions without fluctuations. If you feel like you fall in this boat then your ready. I would recommend a BTA or Long tip anenome. There is a auction going on for a nice Rose Bubble tip (RBTA). It prob one of the most sought after anenomes in the trade.

I put a condi in my 75 that a friend was holding for me after about a month of the tank being setup (didnt have a choice, I needed to get things moved back) and it seems to be a very hardy species. No such luck with my clowns hosting it yet though.

Read up at WetWebMedia.com, especially this article: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/...oa/anemones.htm

The BTA (Entacmaea quadricolor)

To quote Bob Fenner in this article:

"In any given field of endeavor there is a certain "best"... Mohamed Ali in boxing, Tiger Woods for professional golf, myself for king of procrastination... For large species of anemones, the choice hands down has got to be the Bubble Tip Anemone or BTA for short. This exemplary organism is relatively hardy and adaptable... not too large for most hobbyist sized systems, accepting of a wide range of readily-available foods... And there's more! It's been serially reproduced in captivity via vegetative/asexual fission ("fragging"), intentional and not, in good numbers... dropping its price appreciably... and to top it all off... it's a good looking addition to "reef quality" settings!

As with all large anemone species there are caveats re mixing it with other Cnidarians (though this can be done) and unfamiliar fish species, as well as providing adequate lighting, filtration, feeding... These we'll cover in turn here. Know though, that Anemones, albeit none easy to keep, this one is hands-down the species most likely to do well when taken care of properly. "

There is good news, too: While the Rose BTA's are expensive, other colors are not. Some green and purples go for less, and in general, "Rose/Pretty Colors=more, Brown/Tan=cheaper" - people periodically sell BTAs on this website for much cheaper than a store, so just watch the For Sale/Trade listings. True, the Haitian anemones are cheap, but if it dies and pollutes you tank?

'Ric

Condylactus are very easy but they are not conducive to hosting as they tend to sting. That's not to say that they won't ever host, it's just very unlikely. I have a condylactus at school that I got from Phisigs a few years ago and it was the host for a gold bar maroon clown (until the clown was stolen from the tank by someone doing "community service" in the school at night). I doubt that your clowns will host in it, though, as I said.

I would avoid a LTA as a first anemone. Why not get something that looks like an anemone that they will host in instead? There are some easy to keep corals that people often have their fish hosting in.

yea , i'm not to pressed about them hosting this type of Anem. If they did they did or not thats fine. Once I get more established I will put in one they are more likely to host bta, carpet , saddle something of that nature

... Why not get something that looks like an anemone that they will host in instead? There are some easy to keep corals that people often have their fish hosting in.

Until I got a BTA, my clown hosted (as best he could) in my little 2" Galaxia, fyi.

Good News! After my last reply to this post, my Green Bubble Tip Anemone (GBTA) SPLIT! Pics are in the Auction forum where I put one of the halves up for auction. I started at only $7, which is what you could expect to pay for one of the cheaper Hatian/Condy anemones. Here's the link:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16299

The pics don't do the colors justice. Maybe it's the time I took the picture?

'Ric

Guest Reef Nuby

congrates on the split mate.

i have aquired a sebae. its still bleached white from the store, but its starting to regain its color. i was told that my percula clowns (tank raised ) will host it, but so far they show no interest in it.

also, anyone have some imaginative ways of feeding this animal? i have shrimp that i give it, and ive even givin it squid, but my cleaner shrimp wont let food stay with it long. also, ive never seen it feed. thats to say ive never seen it open up and take a bite. any thoughts or sugestions would be greatly apriciated.

btw......great site.

Edited by Reef Nuby