MY 40gl plan!!

Flame angels are not reef safe.

I gave up my flame years ago thinking that I was going to start coals, then never started them.

my flame never touched my corals..and i think e few other members have had success, but my lemon peel on the other hand.... :blast: :fish:

"BUT IM GETTING SEAHORSE FRY!!! "

are you going to try and raise the fry? let us know howw it goes

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my flame never touched my corals..and i think e few other members have had success, but my lemon peel on the other hand.... :blast: :fish:

"BUT IM GETTING SEAHORSE FRY!!! "

are you going to try and raise the fry? let us know howw it goes

yea i am going to raise the fry

i still have one fry who is i think 3 months old and huge and eating wonderfully from my first 5 batches of fry-

( i had 5 seahorses arrive pregnant so i tried to raise their fry and i have one healthy one left)

so i know what to do with them- the tank set up is like a qt tank

just do water changes every two days and cull the dead ones... make sure the temperature is stable-

last time i think my temperature was WAY too low so im thinking of raising it a bit for that-- im just worried cuz im going out of town for a week and they are prolly gonna all die when im gone

my flame never touched my corals..and i think e few other members have had success, but my lemon peel on the other hand....

lets put it this way, theyir general reputation is that they aren't, so if a person doesn't already have one, it might be good to think twice about getting one.

already have... haha

there was some nasty storm in maryland- but it was far from me- it just passed over we could only see the lightening and we got a little rain--

but aprox 12days till fry

40gl tank

10gl sump

pvc pipe

Current Nova Extreme Lights

30#LR from TBS- and i think im gonna get 10lbs of PA nano rock which is fully cured..

45#sand

heater- visitherm stealth

asm mini skimmer should be on its way this week- got it for 100$!

miscellanious equiptment im ordering

then live stock

pair of clowns ( i think im going with misbarred or teardrop)

1pearly jawfish

2 firefish

ok so now im considering a 6line wrasse- they have grown on me-

(i would have the jawfish/firefish and wrasse in the tank together for months before the clowns were added) idk they are cute- especially when little :)

but i dont knnow how much room id have in my tank- and my clowns i wouldnt get for a WHILE!!! cuz i dont want to add them before an anemone.. :) which im prollygonna get a BTA or RBTA

1 cleaner shrimp

RBTA

zoos! that will be fun

some other corals:)

snails

any good crabs?

ok so thats updated wanted list

and this is what im ordering this week::

That Pet Place

Nitrite Test Kit - 60 Tests WB:203785

update $14.89 $14.89

Nitrate Test Kit - 60 Tests WB:203777

update $17.89 $17.89

Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead - 295 gph WB:198211

update $18.29 $18.29

Maxi-Jet 900 PH Powerhead - 230 gph WB:198228

update $15.89 $15.89

Visi-Therm Stealth Heater - 150W WB:198304

update $16.99 $16.99

Brine Shrimp Net - 3 in. WB:212708

update $0.99 $0.99

Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 4 x 24W & Lunar Lights - 24 in. WB:204868

update $159.99 $159.99

Ammonia Test Kit - 50 Tests WB:203776

update $17.99 $17.99

Elite Air Pump - Battery Operated WB:214839

update $8.99 $17.98

[/u]

Pet Solutions

96309505 - AQUA GLOVES $12.99 $12.99

Aquarium Cleaning Mat $11.99 $11.99

Algae Scrub Pads $3.19 $6.38

Flexible Tubing 15511124 - SILICONE TUBING 20' $3.69 $3.69

LARGE PYTHON PRO CLEAN $8.99 $8.99

LiveAmmonia Test Meter $4.99 $4.99

Digital Power Center $24.99 $24.99

Clownfishes-book $23.49 $23.49

TAP WATER CONDITIONER 1 GAL $26.99 $26.99

Mag Drive 7 $54.99 $54.99

Premium Aquatics

10lbs Nano rock - fully cured

50lbs of sand

[/b]did i miss anything?

1 cleaner shrimp

RBTA

zoos! that will be fun

some other corals:)

snails

Any good crabs?

ok so thats updated wanted list

I love Sally, my Sally Lightfoot crab. And she's suddenly taken a liking to green bubble algae. While I was trying to figure out how to get rid of a patch of it on my GSP rock, she ate it. I feed her a little piece of silverside every night, using tweezers. I'd try my fingers, but she gets REAL eager to get that fish, and I've seen her take swipes at fish, snails, corals, and even my stichodactyla tapetum, if they are stealing HER food (which is all food dropped into the tank).

bob

anything else that i should buy?? im placing my orders tomorrow night

also is there anything BAD about adding LS or is it just nothing all that good- because i was gonna order it anyways because i wanted extra bacteria to speed cycling if i have a cycle- but i was ordering 10lbs of fully cured PA live rock and just in case i wanted the sand as well

could LS have an ammonia spike?

anything else that i should buy?? im placing my orders tomorrow night

also is there anything BAD about adding LS or is it just nothing all that good- because i was gonna order it anyways because i wanted extra bacteria to speed cycling if i have a cycle- but i was ordering 10lbs of fully cured PA live rock and just in case i wanted the sand as well

could LS have an ammonia spike?

Anything can have an ammonia spike if it's got living things in it and it is not in your tank! Anything that dies off in a transfer can result in an ammonia spike.

That said, I can't imagine you'll have much of a spike if any with the fact that you're adding the rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. That's enough rock to avoid a cycle. When you add the 10 extra pounds of rock from Premium Aquatics, you may get a small spike, but I can't imagine that it'll be much.

ok good!!! i was worried that me buying the TBS stuff would be worthless if i was gonna ruin it by me putting things in that can spike it bad!!!

i now officially qualify for a t-shirt that says "I glue animals to rocks"!!!

though im sure mnost of you have that shirt!!!

today at the zoo we got an animal shipment and a keeper and i were glueing ricodias to a rock it was fun

they were soo small and cute

(edited)

for my lighting... im getting the 24in fixture... because there is only 30in of spcace across my tank.. is thatok??

also can someone help me out with my RO unit... i dont really know how to install it... anyone want to swing by and help or should i just call a plumber

Edited by toastiireefs

lol - my 20L is also 30"

When I get to building out that tank, I'll do a T5 retro, staggering 24" bulbs.

Like YB says, the shorter bulbs are fine because when the fixture is 4-6 inches off the water the light will spread out and cover the tank.

You could go the other way as well, since the 39watt T5's are really something like 33" long, and the ends don't really fire with a lot of light anyways. The problem there is how to retro fit something on your tank, so you'll have to get creative if you don't want to just buy one of the PC fixtures for that size tank.

HTH,

jp

nope i already placed my order haha..

i have a canopy (DIY frmo previous owner) so i can work some things out

If you already have a canopy, you should probably go with T5 retro kits instead of a T5 fixture. Fixtures are not normally designed to be mounted inside of a canopy and retro kits are a little cheaper anyway.

welll like i said its a kinda canopy.. its not REALLY a canopy- it was made by the perso who owned the tank and its an open top that just sitz on the top of the tank and i have a glass cover on the tank, and the canopy is easily removed or replaced on the tank "with one swift move"

i got the fixture anyways... sorry

and apparently the mag 7 i bought is too strng for my 40gl/10gl tank

ahhhhh idk but things seem to not be going so well from the start... this is frustrating. i really need to get everything set up as SOOOOOOn as possible... like this week.. all my stuf is coming tmorrow or tuseday

(edited)

so i got my skimmer today!!!!

an asm-mini insump yadda yadda yadda

anyways so i started to put it together... and well there are no instructions of course... ( i got it bought once not used at all) annnnnd well i know it goes in the sump and where the majority of the parrts go- i will try to post pics later but i just dont know how everything goes... like whats the little airline thing... is that supposed to connect to something on more than one side- and does anything touch the sponge?

AND 3 DAYS TILL FRY ... about

Edited by toastiireefs

so i got my skimmer today!!!!

an asm-mini insump yadda yadda yadda

anyways so i started to put it together... and well there are no instructions of course... ( i got it bought once not used at all) annnnnd well i know it goes in the sump and where the majority of the parrts go- i will try to post pics later but i just dont know how everything goes... like whats the little airline thing... is that supposed to connect to something on more than one side- and does anything touch the sponge?

AND 3 DAYS TILL FRY ... about

Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/pr...oot_parent_id=6

If so then it looks like a standard venturi skimmer and the airline tubing connects to the pump on one end and the other end is left open in order to allow air to be sucked in.

Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/pr...oot_parent_id=6

If so then it looks like a standard venturi skimmer and the airline tubing connects to the pump on one end and the other end is left open in order to allow air to be sucked in.

yes!!!! haha

ok thats what i was wondering... and

is all you do place it in the sump and just let t work magic?