29 gal build with pictures@

I put water in!!! It is very cloudy now, due to the salt. Should I leave the pumps/return on to mix it? Or do I need to turn everything off so it can settle?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool can't wait to see pics! :cheers:

leave the pumps (and heater if possible) running to dissolve the salt faster

Agreed, leave everything running. That'll properly mix and dissolve the salt. All you'll accomplish with turning them off is to slow it down and allow the heavier saltier water where the salt dissolves to sink down to the bottom of the tank rather than mix evenly throughout your system.

Tank with water!

Sorry I haven't updated recently, I've been super busy. But I have completed the stand, and filled the tank with water. Even added my first to fish.

100_0388.JPG

100_0391.JPG

100_0392.JPG

Still working on my sump, I have a major microbubble issue I am working on getting rid of. The pump seems to be building up an air bubble and sending it up to the display periodically. Everything else seems good so far. The rockwork has not been done yet, but so far I am pretty satisfied.

Did you make it so you could see your overflow intentionally?

That's the best I could do, I did not want to have paint inside of the tank or overflow because I didn't want it to chip or leach anything.

Looking good! maybe you could build up a wall of rock to help cover up the overflow?

Looking good! maybe you could build up a wall of rock to help cover up the overflow?

I'm goign to try and finalize my rockwork tomorrow. I am hoping my coralline will cover the back wall to take care of anything that's visible.

More Livestock and Pics!

I just got back from BRK a little bit ago... I need to learn how to turn the macro feature on, but I added snails and a shrimp for my CUC...

100_0395.JPG

Here's some more shots, this side shot of the tank to show you how I hid the overflow piping.

100_0393.JPG

The control panel, still need to clear some wires and get the ATO storage built and in place under the stand. For now I'm just using a bucket.

100_0397.JPG

And a picture of my sump, has all kinds of crap in it, still working on getting it organized. I am still trying to get the skimmer configured correctly.

100_0398.JPG

Rockwork

Did my rockwork... it didn't come out exaclty how I envisioned it, but overall I'm satisfied... for now. I wish it was higher in the tank, but what do you guys think? Please ignore the piping, I took out the black acrylic temporarily, and haven't put it back yet.

100_0400.JPG

the rock work looks nice, good job

I have some hair algae starting up, I can see some very small green starting to sprout. What is the best way to take care of this? And what eats it?

Kill the lights and leave it alone. Some of the tangs will eat it as well but your tank is kind of small. Some hermits will also eat it as will some conchs, but it's a new tank and if you kill the lights, there's nothing in there to affect other than the algae. Leave it in the dark and then change the water, you probably have some nutrients in there allowing it to grow (although for it to grow in a brand new tank is somewhat surprising).

Any new progress on this great beast?

Not really, I'm starting to get some green coraline algae, today I'm setting up my pH probe, and I'm going to build my homemade topoff container out of glass scraps. I want everything to fit underneath.

is that a 20 gal sump??

Yes sir.

Update

I've been busy busy busy busy!!! But I've been working on my tank still. I finished building a little custom made water storage out of some left over glass. I cut it and siliconed it up, meant to take pictures out of the stand, but its too late now.

I will build a top, and put kalk in the storage container - there is a pump that will mix up the kalk to keep it stirred. The osmolator will dose the kalk water, and the storage tank holds about 3 gallons of water to the rim of it.

100_0404.JPG

100_0405.JPG

And here is the most recent FTS, with 3 corals that were added, one seems to be badly bleached and probably won't make it. UPS lost the package, so it was lost for a day. I haven't put the doors on yet, but once i do I'll take some pictures of everything...just shows that what's in it is more important.

100_0401.JPG

So if anyone wants to give me a bunch of frags to fill up my tank let me know! :biggrin:

What is the blue and white thing in this picture?

That's the osmolator pump. The white cord is the power, the black one is the hose to the sump. It's just a small dosing pump.

Update

Okay I added some more livestock. One is a fish, a Yellow Watchman Goby, that is not coming out, he's hiding in the back under a rock at the moment. And one frag...

I'm by no means a good photographer....

100_0408.JPG

100_0410.JPG

My two clownies

100_0413.JPG

Some FTS with the doors on, I need to order the knobs for the doors/drawer...

100_0414.JPG

100_0417.JPG

100_0415.JPG

And a picture of the guts...

100_0418.JPG

• 1 month later...