29 gal build with pictures@

I've been watching this thread since you started it, but I've just become more and more impressed with the woodwork
same here .. very impressive woodwork .. the stand and canopy are looking amazing

can't wait to see it up and running!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's awesome. Between your build and the 125 build by... can't remember his name... I'm thoroughly impressed. My woodworking skills are incredibly poor to begin with, now I'm put to shame!

I've been watching this thread since you started it, but I've just become more and more impressed with the woodwork.

Thanks for the comments, I've been watching the 125 build thread too.

same here .. very impressive woodwork .. the stand and canopy are looking amazing

can't wait to see it up and running!

Thanks! Believe me, I can't wait to get this thing setup either. Worst part is I'm going out of town tomorrow so I'll have to wait a little longer! :(

Probe Holder

Since I had some acrylic left over from the overflow peice, I decided to try and make a DIY probe holder. I didn't have a heat gun so I had to use a propane torch but everything went well. Here are some pictures.

100_0379.JPG

100_0378.JPG

100_0377.JPG

100_0380.JPG

Now all I have to do is cut some holes/slots in it to hold my probes. It will hold the pH probe, the temperature probe (both from ACJr.) and a grounding probe. I don't think I will have anything else but I will leave some room for future additions.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor Update

I've been sanding, I had to rebuild some of the hood due to how I wanted to mount the door, so I finished that up. Just need to mount the hood door. And some other small things here and there.

I've sanded the base, and it's pretty much ready to go. Have to put a small piece of wood in the door to prevent light from coming through the door gap. Here's what it looks like right now...

100_0382.JPG

Hood Completion

I've completed the hood, looks pretty good. Thoughts?

100_0383.JPG

Door

100_0384.JPG

And a full shot

100_0386.JPG

I'm satisfied with it for the most part. What do you guys think? Do I need to add some molding or some type of design to the hood where it meets the glass. What are your guys thoughts? Honest opinions only please! Thanks.

Nice - can't wait to see it stained. Molding around the top rim might make it too busy.

That's what I was thinking - I plan to get the stain on tomorrow - I can't wait!

I put on the stain today, it looks good, I picked a pretty good color in my opinion. Have some blotchyness going on, but nothing horrible. Couple coats of my clear coat and marine varnish for inside of hood/bottom of stand and I'll be good to go. Should be done Sunday night. Filled with water on Monday... hopefully.

take your time - all us fish nerds will still be here if you let it dry an extra day or two.

:cheers: :bluefish: :cheers:

Edited by bigJPDC

take your time - all us fish nerds will still be here if you let it dry an extra day or two.

:cheers: :bluefish: :cheers:

Don't worry, I'm not rushing it. It os getting plenty of time to dry. :)

I hate HomeDepot... how do you not have any 1" Sched 40 90 deg elbows.....

this happens often actually the one in springfield and in fall church is constantly out of PVC joints... HOMEDEPO stinks when it comes to restocking and keeping things in proper order...

I hate HomeDepot... how do you not have any 1" Sched 40 90 deg elbows.....

I'll be happy to trade a couple of elbows for some finishing with woodwork of my in-wall when I get the wall built (currently scheduled for December, 2018).

I'll be happy to trade a couple of elbows for some finishing with woodwork of my in-wall when I get the wall built (currently scheduled for December, 2018).

:lol: On two accounts.

Hey where did you get your diamond bit for cutting that overflow and can you give any tips on doing the cut aside from not making it square.

I'm a Lowes man myself. I cant stand home depot , never anyone around and when they are their useless

I actually would go to Lowes if there was one as close as HD.... I don't ever talk to the employees at any of the stores, unless I need to find something.

this happens often actually the one in springfield and in fall church is constantly out of PVC joints... HOMEDEPO stinks when it comes to restocking and keeping things in proper order...

It's just a little ridiculous to not have any of that part left, good thing it's not a critical piece for me.

Sureeeee.

:lol: On two accounts.

Hey where did you get your diamond bit for cutting that overflow and can you give any tips on doing the cut aside from not making it square.

I bought it at HD, it's a dremel bit. As far as tips, be prepared for a long process, it is very very slow. I also would not have cut my overflow as deep if I were to do it again. It helps if you have someone to spray spray spray with a spray bottle, otherwise find a way to have water on the part you are cutting nonstop. I rocked the bit to get it down (hope this makes sense). I would tilt it, then put it upright, and continued to do this over and over. Another small thing, when I got towards the end, I finished it from the outside in, to prevent chipout. Let me know if i need to clarify anything.

Another small thing, when I got towards the end, I finished it from the outside in, to prevent chipout. Let me know if i need to clarify anything.

that part i don't get

I think that means he started on one end and before making it all the way through he started on the other side. Basically, to prevent the last little cut from chipping out at the edge of the glass, he began cutting where he wanted to end. Know how when you drill a hole the wood tends to fray and splinter when you get to the end of the cut? I think that glass would have a tendency to do the same when you do a project like this, so to prevent it from chipping at the corner where the cut ends, he started the cut there, too.

I wonder what would happen if you scored it with a glass cutter first? Would that give you a nice clean break?

I think that means he started on one end and before making it all the way through he started on the other side. Basically, to prevent the last little cut from chipping out at the edge of the glass, he began cutting where he wanted to end. Know how when you drill a hole the wood tends to fray and splinter when you get to the end of the cut? I think that glass would have a tendency to do the same when you do a project like this, so to prevent it from chipping at the corner where the cut ends, he started the cut there, too.

I wonder what would happen if you scored it with a glass cutter first? Would that give you a nice clean break?

Exactly, I don't think a glass cutter would help any in this situation - it's a different type of method, I would guess it would still chip out. Jason, let me know if the above made sense, if not I'll draw a picture or something (no clownfish though)....

Stained, Plumbed, and Wired

Well I've been extremely busy coaching football, so I haven't had a ton of time to get this done on schedule. But it's getting there.

100_0387.JPG

As you can see I've stained it, done all the plumbing, and setup the control panel. All I need to do now is wire the lighting and the GFCI. SCrew the doors back on. Comments?

I think it looks freakin sweet I like how you gutted the switch box. Also what's that air line tubing visable at the top?

It's in the top of my durso standpipe, it is there to prevent the hole from getting clogged.