2.5 gallons at 3 years 5 months

Sugar Magnolia

(edited)

This little tank goes through an overhaul at least once a year due to overgrowth of corals or overgrowwth of unwanted hitch hikers like vermetids and hydroids. It just got an overhaul about two months ago and still needs some filler corals, so stay tuned for further updates.

2-1.jpg

Specs:

Standard AGA 2.5 gallon tank

Current 2x18W Dual Satellite fixture

HOB filter

aragonite sand

Fiji LR

1 astrea snail

1 margarita snail

1 bumble bee snail (heavily encrusted with coraline)

1 sexy shrimp

1 peppermint shrimp

1 yasha haze goby (lost his buddy the pistol a few months back)

Various zoas/button polyps

Caulestrea (TY davelin - two heads when I got it)

Toadstool

Blue ricordea

Yuma Ricordea

GSP grwoing on back wall

Maintenence:

Weekly 2 quart water changes

Clean filter/replace carbon/poly pad biweekly

scrape front glass weekly

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

niceeeee, I am getting ready to set up a pico also I ordered a aquaclear 50 and now in the process of turning it into a small refugium, I only have a jali 13 watt running maybe upgrade later, what are doing for top off.....

I was about to ask if that was the same calustrea that I gave you! Congratulations, I think you're the first person that got a frag of that from me that has actually experienced any growth! Of the people I've heard feedback from, it basically stays the same and doesn't produce any more heads. Looking great!

very nice tank hard to believe all that can go on in just two and a half gallons

I was about to ask if that was the same calustrea that I gave you! Congratulations, I think you're the first person that got a frag of that from me that has actually experienced any growth! Of the people I've heard feedback from, it basically stays the same and doesn't produce any more heads. Looking great!

Yeah, the one you gave me died :( It was nice, too.

Congrats on a great looking tank, this fourm doesn't get enough attention

No it doesn't. 139 views and 5 replies. Thanks to those that stopped in to check out my little tank!

Dave, two more of the heads are getting ready to split again. Obviously that coral likes this tank.

Wow! that looks great...and at only 2.5 gallons!

'Ric

Me, too! Adrienne, if you're ready, I'll use the picture you submitted for what we had contacted you about before!

Cryptic... what could you possibly be talking about? :rollface:

• 4 weeks later...

:wink: that looks awesome ive been thinking about starting up a 2.5 gallon tank but my mom said "one tank is enough" also try to post some more pics of it

how hard is it to keep the environment stable in that size?

It's not difficult at all. I top off daily with RO/DI/kalk and do weekly 2 quart water changes. You can see that I never have scraped the sides of this tank, only the front panel, which needs scraping on a weekly basis because the coraline grows so fast.

Jason, I'll get some new pics up soon, just haven't really had time the past few weeks.

It's not difficult at all. I top off daily with RO/DI/kalk and do weekly 2 quart water changes. You can see that I never have scraped the sides of this tank, only the front panel, which needs scraping on a weekly basis because the coraline grows so fast.

Jason, I'll get some new pics up soon, just haven't really had time the past few weeks.

Really? I was always under the impression that in a nano this size you would have to almost constantly refill the water to keep the parameters withing acceptable levels.

What kind of HOB filter is it? Just a basic $30 filter like you would use on a freshwater tank? Also, how much did the lighting cost and where did you get it?

This seems like an incredibly cost-effective way to set up a tank! It looks great and really is something I'll have to try sometime!

Really? I was always under the impression that in a nano this size you would have to almost constantly refill the water to keep the parameters withing acceptable levels.

I was thinking the same thing. Is it not hard to keep the temperature stable?

I'm thinking the other end... keeping it cool enough.

Joe, I do have to top off daily with RO/DI/kalk to keep things stable. I really don't test much anymore, I can pretty much tell when things are off just by looking at the tank inhabs. The only exception in that tank is the leather that occasionally defaltes for a day or two for no particular reason. My yuma ric has been consistently unhappy since I added that leather. It sits in close proximity to it. All I can figure is chemical warfare and the ric is losing. My other ricordea, a florida ric, on the other side of the tank seems unaffected by it.

Filter right now is just your basic HOB. I usually have a modded AquaClear 50 on it as a mini refugium, but haven't had time to build a new one, so for the time being the plain old HOB is doing the job.

I use a mini heater (25W)in the HOB to keep the temp stable. The light is a Current Dual 2x18W satellite and it does put off a pretty fair amount of heat. The light is up on a riser that my husband built, so it sits about 3" above the water to help dissapate some of the heat out the back. The fixture has two areas on either end of it where a fan can be installed if desired, just haven't done that.

Adrienne, do you by any chance remember where you posted that thread on modifying an Aquaclear filter for the refugium? That was a really neat DIY thread and I think it could use some exposure again with the nanos and picos making a comeback on this site!

Adrienne, do you by any chance remember where you posted that thread on modifying an Aquaclear filter for the refugium? That was a really neat DIY thread and I think it could use some exposure again with the nanos and picos making a comeback on this site!

It's a sticky in the nano DIY thread over at RC:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...t=how+to+DIY+an

I'm not sure if I did a posting of it here on the WAMAS forum, I'll search around to see if I can find it.

• 2 months later...