Tropical Lagoon

Guest Larry-T

Guest Larry-T

I was coming home from the Farmer's Market last Saturday when I noticed a store named "Tropical Lagoon" on Georgia just inside the Beltway. Has anyone here know anything about them?

I love this place and a vast majority of my stuff comes from there.

Hit or miss coral but I have the best fish survival rate from there.

Like some of the shops, they do not offer a club discount, but normal prices are reflective.

Don't see it, ask!

It's a cool place. Not the best looking place, but Steve (the owner) is an awesome guy! Great fish survival rate from there as well. I have picked up a few nice corals from there in the past.

Guest JasonD

A bit dumpy inside, but their fish always seem healthy. They're a Tunze dealer -- I bought my skimmer and Osmolator from them. When I was looking to buy my skimmer, all the big internet stores were saying 4-6 weeks until they got one in, but Tropical Lagoon had one sitting on their shelf.

It's 5 minutes from my house, and I get there a lot. Their SW livestock usually looks pretty good, but their FW fish often look a bit dodgy. Somewhere around half the time, the frozen food is freezer burned. Steve is a good guy, but he doesn't always seem focused on what he's doing, and you have to be a bit careful because he will state things with unwarranted certainty. Overall, I consider it better than most.

I've been there a lot and made several livestock purchases. The place is dingy and reeks badly, but I suppose that's part of the charm. Their prices are not cheap, but reasonable. I think their customer service varies. They seem really friendly to other people in the store, but not me. Maybe it's because I always show up right before they close.

• 2 years later...

Stopped in today for the first time. First impression, The store is kinda hard to find and park near. Took me a while to find the public parking lot on the side of the building. When I first walked in the door I was greeted by this cat that looked like it just crawled out of a dumpster...cute i know! As I walked down the stairs to the store, I was hit by this awesome smell of cat %$#* and who knows what else. The store is very...whats the word...gross. Its like a basement room that has fish tanks in it and smells of nastiness. The one thing that I found neat was the 300 Gallon Perfecto tank they had setup as a display. They had this HUGE showcase clam in it that was literally the size of a large watermelon. Didn't stay very long because my girlfriend was afraid of contracting HIV or something. So I didn't get a chance to check out much. Their coral selection was definitely lacking and overpriced. The fish looked rather healthy and surprisingly affordable. Sadly, I don't think I will be returning to this hidden store, even though it isn't too far from me.

To each his own, but I have always had great success with their fish. Recently picked up 10 Bartletts for an amazing price. They aren't the snazziest or cleanest store, but hey everyone can look like a doctors office. :)

• 5 months later...

Hey,

Did Tropical Lagoon move? I drove by there this evening and I didnt see it in that little strip mall place on Georgia? It was always kind of hard to see off the street, but I didnt see it at all. The website still says it's in the same place it's always been.

Thanks,

Dell

Hey,

Did Tropical Lagoon move? I drove by there this evening and I didnt see it in that little strip mall place on Georgia? It was always kind of hard to see off the street, but I didnt see it at all. The website still says it's in the same place it's always been.

Thanks,

Dell

Hey Dell, they moved 2 or 3 doors to your right, the painted the front in blue with some clown fish. Than, the store is in the basement.

All my fishes are from there, they do have nice livestock.

The owner do maintenance and is very honest in prices and advices.

Fabiana

i have always had a good experience with them, and thought that their prices were quite reasonable.

$19 fire shrimp/$16 cleaner shrimp that I have picked up in the past month.

Their fish are healthy and are usually about 20% cheaper than other stores..... at least in Maryland that is. $16 Bangaiis i saw 2 weeks ago are just one example.