Mostly this goes out to Inna

dhoch

Man 22 views and not a single comment?

I would love to keep one of those someday. Are they easy to keep? How fragile are they? I know most people setup species tanks just for them, so I'm curious.

These guys are in my frag tank (40 gallons) only the 3 of them in there.

It's a good question... I had a talk with Julian Sprung when he was here about them...He said they are fragile and he has not been able to keep past 3 months...He said there are two die off points for them, first couple weeks and then 3 months.

I've gotten them past the first week at this point and they are feeding which to me is really good...They also have quite the collection of pods to hunt for in that tank so they also have live food.

We'll see long term though.

Dave

I have one in my tank... and looks like she has made it past the "second point" as I have had her for over 6 months now....

I saw the tiniest little pipefish at BRK the other day - maybe it will still be there today. I tend to doubt it; I almost took it to put in my frag tank. It's so small even a non-aggressive fish might eat it thinking it was a big piece of mysis! Really cute!

bob

• 2 weeks later...

Yes all 3 still going strong...

2 of them are clearly "paired"....1 is larger than the other two and stays close to one of the smaller ones, and the other smaller one while not harassed is definitely a "loner"

Dave

Yes all 3 still going strong...

2 of them are clearly "paired"....1 is larger than the other two and stays close to one of the smaller ones, and the other smaller one while not harassed is definitely a "loner"

Dave

One outcast should go and live in my tank :rollface:

Guest Bemmer

Dave and Inna,

Where did you get your pipefish? I have been toying with the idea of switching my 40g seahorse display tank to a pipefish tank...with two firefish, two Yashia and one flasher wrasse. I still have not fully committed to the seahorses. Are the pipefish easier to keep...Just starting to research them. I would like to get the dragonface pipefish.

Rebecca

Dave and Inna,

Where did you get your pipefish? I have been toying with the idea of switching my 40g seahorse display tank to a pipefish tank...with two firefish, two Yashia and one flasher wrasse. I still have not fully committed to the seahorses. Are the pipefish easier to keep...Just starting to research them. I would like to get the dragonface pipefish.

Rebecca

We both got them from liveaquaria.com

I think pipes are harder to keep than horses but I might be mistaken.

BTW, I have both - pipefish and seahorses in the same time.

They are really awesome though - I love my multibanded :)

Pretty cool!

I was just at Scales at lunchtime today and they have one if someone's interested.