Reef load for a 25 gallon

Kenneth

I currently have a 25 gallon and will upgrade to a 29 or 37 gallon. Is this load acceptable for the size? (with a Skilter 250 filter/skimmer combo):

30 lbs live rock, Inhabitants: 1 pajama fish, 1 neon goby, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 camelback shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 sea cucumber, 1 brittle star, 6 dwarf blue-legged hermits, 2 turbo snails, 1 feather duster, 1 scarlet scallop, 1 brown button polyp frag, 1 arrow crab, 1 clurlicue anemone, 1 bubble-tipped anemone

(edited)

Hey Kenneth,

Just making sure you meant Camelback Shrimp (Rhynchocienetes uritai) and not a Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni) there behavior in a reef set up is a little different. Just something to keep in mind. Just added URL to each with a some info...

Henry

Edited by NightOwl

(edited)

The Coral Banded Shrimp may also be aggressive toward the other types of shrimp, especially in a smaller space.

If this will be a reef tank rather than FOWLR, note that Camel Back Shrimp are not reef safe.

Edited by 'Ric

Thank you for pointing out to me the reef-compatibility of the camelback shrimp. I have read varying reports online. Perhaps this explains why my mushrooms have been closed. The camelback probably comes out at night (since they are nocturnal) and feasts on them. When I re-arrange the live rock this weekend, he is going to go.

Anyone wants a camelback shrimp?

BTW, I noticed the coral banded shrimp was agressive towards the cleaner shrimp, but he seems to stay in his own little cave and I have not noticed any significant problems as yet. I will be keeping my eye out. And I am planning on a larger tank in the near future.

Kenneth

The Coral Banded Shrimp may also be aggressive toward the other types of shrimp, especially in a smaller space.

If this will be a reef tank rather than FOWLR, note that Camel Back Shrimp are not reef safe.

• 2 weeks later...

no sand in the tank??

(edited)
I currently have a 25 gallon and will upgrade to a 29 or 37 gallon. Is this load acceptable for the size? (with a Skilter 250 filter/skimmer combo):

30 lbs live rock, Inhabitants: 1 pajama fish, 1 neon goby, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 camelback shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 sea cucumber, 1 brittle star, 6 dwarf blue-legged hermits, 2 turbo snails, 1 feather duster, 1 scarlet scallop, 1 brown button polyp frag, 1 arrow crab, 1 clurlicue anemone, 1 bubble-tipped anemone

I'd be worried about the following...

Sea Cucumber: Google "cuke nuke"

Coral Banded Shrimp: Agressive

Arrow Crab: Extremely Agresssive

Brittle Star: Opertunistic omnivore...

Just my opnion, do your own research, even search the threads here on wamas for a lot of good info. :scuba:

Regards, Jason

Edited by jason the filter freak

• 4 weeks later...

You are right there. Since I first posted this thread, I've given away the sea cucumber and arrow crab. That darn coral banded shrimp is hard to catch without taking all the rock out. HHhhmm, should I be very concerned about the brittle star?

I'd be worried about the following...

Sea Cucumber: Google "cuke nuke"

Coral Banded Shrimp: Agressive

Arrow Crab: Extremely Agresssive

Brittle Star: Opertunistic omnivore...

Just my opnion, do your own research, even search the threads here on wamas for a lot of good info. :scuba:

Regards, Jason

not all cucumbers nuke your tank. I have 2 in my tank. They are sand sifters and do a durn good job. Tiger tails are one of the safe ones. The ones you really want to stay away from are the more colorful cucumbers.

Sandy

Agree with smarsh97 about the cukes. I have 3 in my tank, one tiger tail and 2 "donkey dung". No worries about the ugly ones, and they do a great job keeping the surface of the sand bed clean. Only problem is that they will eventually get very big.

As for brittle stars, as long as you don't have one of the big green ones I would not worry about yours. Quite the contrary, IMO&E they make great scavengers and are really cool to look at.

If you do have sand, I am partial to nassarius snails as sand-stirrers / detrivores / scavengers -- and really cool to watch too. :) 2-3 for your tank would probably do the trick.

Agree with smarsh97 about the cukes. I have 3 in my tank, one tiger tail and 2 "donkey dung". No worries about the ugly ones, and they do a great job keeping the surface of the sand bed clean. Only problem is that they will eventually get very big.

As for brittle stars, as long as you don't have one of the big green ones I would not worry about yours. Quite the contrary, IMO&E they make great scavengers and are really cool to look at.

If you do have sand, I am partial to nassarius snails as sand-stirrers / detrivores / scavengers -- and really cool to watch too. :) 2-3 for your tank would probably do the trick.

I have one of those greens and am feeding it myself so it doesn't go after anything, and will get rid of it soon. If you go to buy a clean up crew as a package, take note that Congressional Aq includes those greens in theirs. I didn't get the package but asked them about the star before I bought it and they are telling people it's fine with tank mates.