1" Milli, got from Jake 6 months ago:

218751370_b9fc18c92e.jpg

Today is about 7" across:

445181736_0d48ae65d4.jpg

1" Birdsnest got from Rik 5 months ago:

223383733_7d51e1f67d.jpg

Today is about 5" with a few frags taken along the way:

445181710_81ac7928e6.jpg

I have a bunch more saved on my hard drive and will upload later.

Whats some lighting specs? i have never seen anything grow that fast.

I was watching Coral Seas on Discovery channel last night and they said SPS corals grow about 6" yearly on the reefs, commented to the wife that they need some MH on there LOL Seriosly lighting is only a small portion of growth in my opinion but I run 1ea 250w 10k xm bulb on a PFO m-58 ballast, 2ea 24" t-5 AB+ Geismann on triad, 2ea 24" VHO 03's on ARO over my 54 corner. Oh yeah, I have the top covered with eggcrate too, doesn't seem to hurt the growth huh? ;)

I need some new lights. I have had a birdnest frag for almost two years and it isnt even that big. I now feel like i have do something wrong. I need to try out the 10k XM's.

(edited)

Amazing growth! Your using a calcium reactor and a kalk reactor right? Are you using any other additives?

Edited by Weap0n_X

They are the highest par rating for SE for the icecap ballast. Whats your water parameters?

Interesting Dan...

I was comparing to some of my growth pics... I have that same yellow milli... I'm getting the same kind of volume but VERY different growth patterns:

June 2006

greenyellowmilli01.jpg

Jan 2007 (minus some frags)

greenyellowmilli04.jpg

Dave

Do you find the branches are in any pattern relative to where the point source of light is?

Dave

Ca reactor, Kalk reactor no other additives. 15% monthly WC (1/2 gallon/day).

Ca 380-400

alk 9-10

mag 1200-1250

ph 8.3 - 8.5

Bad stuff 0-0

Sick growth for both Dan and Dave.

Dan, took the family to your restaurant the other day. Everything was great. We had the calamari as appetizer, then a pizza, which was delicious. The crust especially.

Sorry to get off topic...

Do you find the branches are in any pattern relative to where the point source of light is?

Well the back is growing faster than the front and it is growing away from the light. There is also that bottle brush in front that I think has more to do with slower growth growing forward though.

I just got a small frag of that from her as well.... :)

Dave

Upper left side blue formosa at 10 o clock and green polyp acro at 9 o clock under the cowfish 5 months ago:

255319455_c94bb2878d.jpg

Blue Formosa

445257820_ebe917da4c.jpg

Green Polyp acro:

445257776_f0dd496775.jpg

Cowfish :)

445257774_68e3042b1f.jpg

He's a fast grower too ;)

Boy howdy I haven't seen this much growth since a certian little blue pill hit the market those years ago... seriously though, looks awsome!

Ca reactor, Kalk reactor no other additives. 15% monthly WC (1/2 gallon/day).

Ca 380-400

alk 9-10

mag 1200-1250

ph 8.3 - 8.5

Bad stuff 0-0

Alk - 9-10 dKH. That would be... 10/2.8 = 3.5 meq/L

In some of the literature I've read - that would be considered at the HIGH end of the preferred range; but the same literature indicates that having your alk on the high end (even as high as 5.0 meq/L), AND still maintaining good pH and Ca = fastest growth.

So - you rule!

bob

I've been running T5 lights over my tank since I set it up and have seen slow but steady growth over the past few months, dosing with B-Ionic to about 9dKh and doing semi regular water changes. I added the kalk stirrer , dropped the B-Ionic and upped the alk to ~10dKh (slowly dialing the kalk stirrer in) and I swear some of the coral tips grew nearly 1/2" in less than two weeks.

I agree with Dan (also Chip, John Copps and others that have made similar statements). It takes more than good lighting to get fast, healthy growth and color. I'm still working on what 'more' actually is but I think a reasonably high alk, balanced calc and steady PH play a big role.

Very nice Dan- You alway have great polyp extension.

You need to put the adress of your resturant in your signature- I can't seem to remember where it is, and promised myself I would stop by- Is your tank at home or at the shop?

Regards,

Lee