looking to upgrade lights in a while

jamal

i have a 180 with 3 halides and i am upgrading to 400 watt lights and there is an advertisement that say over a 6 foot tank i would be able to use two lights rather than three any thoughts on this? "The nature of the design will allow the typical hobbiest with a six foot tank to burn two lamps and get uniform light distribution over the entire length of the aquarium."

I think I would like to see the link to the ad. Luminarcs give a 3x3 spread and thats about all I've heard of that doesn't drop par in the corners like grav said.

Out of curiosity, why the switch? 3 X 250 is about the same light as 2 X 400 isn't it? I'm still new to MH so correct me if I'm wrong. How would the PAR compare?

Hi Jamal,

The problem with your tank with 2 light configuration is that there are two braces where you would put the lights. If it wasn't for that, you could go with 2 400 watt with Luminarcs.

But really, I don't think you need to upgrade to 400 from 250, if that's what you have.

I too have a 180 with 3@ 250MH's and have been looking at an upgrade. However I am going the route of luminarcs. They will do 2 things for me. 1) help me with heat with the AC units 2) Give me better coverage and light at depth without dumping the 250's.

I would be concerned about the heat on the 400's, unless you have a chiller, then it is a non-issue.

Regards,

John

i have 3 150 watt mh's not 250. thats why i am upgrading. also i plan to run bluer lights so i figured i would go with the 400 watt lights to compensate for the lost par since i wont be running 10k's

I would go with 3 250's rather than 2 400's ... would also highly suggest looking into Luminarcs.

John

i have 3 150 watt mh's not 250. thats why i am upgrading. also i plan to run bluer lights so i figured i would go with the 400 watt lights to compensate for the lost par since i wont be running 10k's

you dont think the lost par would be a problem since i am running 14 or 20 k bulbs? would the lumenarcs make up for this. what is so special about these fixtures?

Hey Jamal,

If you want to run 14 or 20 K bulbs, then I would say go with the 400s with or without Luminarcs.

May want to look into a chiller, though.

i have a 1/4 hp chiller now which i hope will be sufficient for this undertaking. i just know that i want to keep mostly clams and sps corals so i want to make sure they have the light they need. can anyone point me to a link or something about the lumenarcs thanx guys

thanx chris, also what do you guys think about me getting 3x 250 watt bulbs and and 6 or 8 t5's or more supplemental lighting to make up? would this work?