Euphyllia spp.

I hope this is the appropriate forum board for this message...

Stocking an aquarium store with quality corals is becoming a challenge. Obvious statement, but perhaps this is useful for those of you who are interested in finding coral species to propagate. Euphyllia species: Hammer, Frogspawn, and Torch corals, have long been among the most popular corals for reef aquaria. They are durable, beautiful, and surprisingly easy to propagate. Among stony corals, they are always among the first stony corals suggested for a beginning hobbyist and indeed few reading this board have not tried keeping any of these species.

Unfortunately, because of their high desirability, Euphyllia are also a target for over-collection. At current, their collection is limited to the point where quotas amongst collectors, wholesalers and retailers are enforced. These corals have been targeted for sustainability studies and their collection in certain collection regions like Indonesia are monitored and controlled quite closely. I am not certain but have heard that importation into the European Union of Euphyllia has been banned for several years and would anticipate that in a short number of years they may be excluded from the North American trade as well. I have no idea of the relative success of these protection programs and have to say that if it works, more power to all of those involved to prevent these gorgeous animals from disappearing from the reefs.

I also desparately hope that Euphyllia do not disappear from the reef aquarium trade! Since they are so easy to propagate, there is no reason that they should. I kept a beautiful pink and green branching Frogspawn coral that thrived under four regular flouresent tubes, one actinic, one 50/50 and two "plant-grow" tubes from Home Depot. The colony doubled every 3-4 months and I was able to completely cover the rock face in my 55gal aquarium in about 18 months, having started with only 6 polyps. Of course, colony frags also found their way into a number of other aquaria. If I could do this in my byzantine system, imagine the growth you can get in the high-tech systems maintained by WAMAS members!

Here's the pitch. Euphyllia are expensive! If you are looking for a way to seed your hobby with a few extra bucks for salt or other equipment and supplies, this is your chance! If you already are keeping colonies of these corals, find room in a propagation system or section of your tank to produce them. If you are not keeping them, find an attractive colony to start. I suggest branching varieties because they are so easy to frag. Any knucklehead (like me) can break or cut a branching skeleton without doing damage to the coral. Pick compelling colors! Vibrant green, pink, gold, white and brown (yes, these are pretty too...) and combinations of all of these can be found in the trade at current. Generally speaking, Euphyllia are not competetive with each other so several varieties can be kept in contact of each other without damage.

Decent independent aquarium shops all have some kind of program to purchase stock raised by their customers. I can't speak for others but I give cash for coral frags because I recognize the importance of encouraging captive propagation of corals. I'm sure others stores in the area will work with you as well, particularly if you have compelling stock to sell. Unfortunately I get a lot of people who want to sell me exotic sps frags that simply do not sell as well or as quickly as other corals. Don't get me wrong, I buy the sps too but I can give a lot more money more frequently for corals like Euphyllia because they sell so much faster and for more money. That's the biz. Raise the crazy, rare, unusual and difficult stuff to satisfy your own curiosity. Raise the easy stuff to make some cash and keep stores stocked with corals that can be sold to beginners. Most of you got started seeing reef aquaria in aquarium shops and being a bit intrigued by them. If we (the stores) don't have the stuff to start with, fewer people will get into the hobby.

So, if you don't have a Euphyllia colony already, please, PLEASE go find a nice one somewhere and start growing it with the idea of production for the open aquarium market. IF you have friends that are growing them too, check with each other to make sure you're not all growing the same kind. I'll buy your frags (just call me first), and I'm sure many other independent aquarium retailers will too.

I hope this is the appropriate forum board for this message...

I think very appropriate to post in this section - maybe also post to the propagation forum as well.

It's nice to see a store owner who realizes that this hobby needs to have as little deleterious impact as possible on wild reefs - my compliments.

In fact, I hope/wish for the day when everything - fish, coral, other inverts - are all captive bred/propagated, and all reefs are marine protected areas... I'll keep dreaming...

Cheers

Mike

Clap! Clap! Clap!

Very good attitude! Excellent suggestion!

I am new to reef aquaria, but I firmly believe in propagating and spreading my corals around.

I have just one frogspawn - a very pretty one with purple and green. It is small, just a couple of heads, but I noticed that it now has a new baby stem growing off one side, with itty bitty purple and green polyps. Based on your suggestion, I believe I will get a larger piece for my new frag tank, and let it grow! And I'll select a very attractive one. And maybe later this year or next, I'll trek over to your place and sell you a piece!

bob

yes thanks andrew, It is an unsung and easy to cultivate coral group for sure.

for those who might have the non branching corals, there are several videos of how to frag them as well, though if you own an elegance coral that is thriving i caution you against any fragging at all. they are one of the few corals with dismal survival rates due to infections and cutting of the skeleton and acciently cutting unseen or baby mouths.

i love my torch corals and they grow like weeds, offsetting my expensive spsand fish tastes :P

Additionally fragging large colonies is akin to pruning ornamental shrubs to increase growth. By removing sections that might be shaded(stunting their growth) you can optimize the growing conditions for more of the colony and thus maintain optimal growth. As the colony gets larger it becomes harder for the new heads to compete for space/light/food etc. By separating them out you can provide each one with an optimal growing environment to reach maximum growth potential.

For example, I have a large frogspawn that has grown from a single head to well over 20 heads. I have noticed a distinct slowing in the growth of the entire colony as it has filled out and occupied almost all of the available area for it to grow. This thread reminds me that I need to get in there and frag it out.