scales

jamal

this is a very good store. they had a beautiful emperor angel that was huge several nice corals some of which i took home and generally competitive prices. i had a very delightful experience there and i would recommend them to others.

I second that!

Scales is awesome and Andrew (dude with the beard, AndrewB on the boards) is a cool guy to bounce dumb questions off of (and for being noobs, that's a good thing!!).

:cheers:

It looked like it would be a cool store. I was there the week it opened. They didn't really have any fish out yet. I went out there to pick up a new tank. I got my 90 AGA RR for $189 out the door. It was a bit soon for me to pick up the tank as I wasn't ready for it, but I couldn't pass up the deal. It sat in my garage unit I moved. The place is quite large. I'll have to stop by again to check it out. It's a bit of a hike for me, but I always like checking out LFS :)

Andrew is one of the best fish store managers in the area. He is very knowledgable and a really nice guy to boot. I don't mind the drive at all. His livestock is some of the healthiest around and he has a great variety too. Just my two cents.

Thomas

Does Scales have a webpage? I tried to do a Google search to find it, but scales is kind of a common word...

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew does a very good job with pricing...better than almost every store on the MD side of the border.

Dave

If you're sticking with Maryland LFS, then for corals, I would go to Scales. Very nice corals at decent prices. You could always just make a trip to one of the members who has a frag tank. You'd probably get the best deals there.

For fish, if you're looking for deals, then go to Roozens. If you know what you are talking about, you can get deals there, but if you are constantly asking: "what type of fish is that, what type of coral is ?", then you might get taken advantage of at Roozens. I had a member tell me that when they first started out, Roozens tried to sell them aptasia claiming it was an anemone. Since I've gotten a little more educated with the Hobby, I can go there and not let them work me over. You'll still get different price quotes from the different employees though. If possible, try to get Jos (I think thats his name) to sell you fish. He is the skinny guy with an accent. Don't go to Larry, he will really take advantage of you if you don't know the name of something. He quoted me $38 for a sand sifter goby, and the next day the skinny guy with the accent sold it to me for $18. Roozens doesn't post prices so they can quote you whatever they want. My parents only live about a mile from them so I have a decent ammount of experience with them.

If you want fish that have been quarantined and a less likelyhood of dieing on you, then I would go with Scales. You might pay a little more as compared to Roozens, but there is a greater chance that the fish will survive. Plus you get better service at Scales and they clearly post their prices, so you wont leave the place wondering if you just got ripped off or not. Don't get me wrong, I had had success with many many fish from Roozens and they will still get a part of my business, its just that my past experiences with them have left a scar that will always make me question them.

Not to mention Scales actually supports WAMAS: socials, offering discounts, and donations for our raffles.

Just my two cents.

Edited by jamesbuf

James, aptasia IS an anemone :)

I know, but its a pest and should never be sold to an unsuspecting amateur reefer as something that you actually want in your tank.

Edited by jamesbuf

well there are so many in there tanks they give it away for free either way so why pay for it. i hate the way they try to be slick with their prices. i have seen prices on their site and gone thier and been qouted something tottally different usually higher. scales is a far better store and much more worthy of our business

Guest seantadez

Scales is so nice and so friendly... i really like buy there... my experience with Roozens hmmmm bad and good, my first Hippo die in the back 30 minutes after leave the place (in the way) but my actual Achilles who is so so beautiful healty and nice fish come from Rozzens for a ridiculous price. so you never know...