Cheap Metal halide light? Safe to buy?

bk_market

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageA...&ProdID=334

I found this cheap shop call Aqua Traders. this is what they selling (im planning to put this in my 40gal 36" long tank):

Approx Fixture Size: 36"L x 15"W x 3"H

1x250W HQI, 2x96W CF, and 4xBluemoon LED

Odyssea Metal Halide System (Electronic Version) features:

non-corrosive powder coated housing

extra large built-in cooling fans

1x external electronic HQI ballasts

2x internal electronic CF ballast

individual power cords

tempered glass splash guard

mounting brackets

FREE item* listed below:

1x double ended 250W HQI bulb

2x compact fluorescent 96W bulb actinic blue

4x plug in bluemoon LED

FREE SHIPPING

My question are: anyone buy from this store before? How the quality? Is the light system good for 249$? Any advices and recommendation would be appreciate. Thanx guys.

Bought mine from Aqua Traders in December. I got the 48" 2x250wHQI and 4x65w true actinic + 6x blue lunar lights. Its a sleek looking unit and I have no complaints. It comes w 10,000k and I replaced them with 14,000k bulbs. My tank is a softy so I can't vouch that SPS will like it.

I have bought two different sets of Odyssea one set of 72" T5's and a 30" T5. They are both now dead and have owned them for less than a year. But I didnt by MH. I will never buy that brand again. Wait for someone to give you advise that has been keeping coral for a couple of years. They will give you a heads up.

Dont have experience with this but IMO you get what you pay for. I would go with a retro if you worried about price. They will last a lot longer in the long run

I've only read bad things about Odyssea. I considered buying one of their lights when I first made the switch from a fish only tank, and I read so many bad experiences that I decided against it. Any product that has that many fires associated with it can't be a good thing. You can sometimes find good deals out there, but in general you really do get what you pay for in this hobby.

I've only read bad things about Odyssea. I considered buying one of their lights when I first made the switch from a fish only tank, and I read so many bad experiences that I decided against it. Any product that has that many fires associated with it can't be a good thing. You can sometimes find good deals out there, but in general you really do get what you pay for in this hobby.

Since I have one of these fixtures what site can I visit to read up on about all these fires? Like what causes these fires? I've been checking its temp. several times a day and the four fans are doing a good job since I read your post several days ago. Thanks for any info you can send my way.

Bill

Edited by Buucca

Good to www.reefcentral.com and do a search for odyssea. You'll find plenty of info there.

I'm going there now, thanks for the info

Bill

Guest JasonD

I've been following the numerous posts on RC about these lights. Consensus seems that they are no-frills but get the job done just fine...kinda like comparing a Hyundai to a Lexus, or maybe comparing the new Hydor Koralia's to the much more expensive Tunze powerheads. Not fancy or the best, but they work just fine. The price is definitely right...

I think the fire BS is just that, BS. In today's litigious society a company can't start home fires and stay in business. I'm sure that these lights are safer than a lot of homemade retro kits I've seen slapped together.