Dirty Sand?

Tom C.

wow. this is bad to say but i have a slight cyano issue and i felt bad but that growth is unnaturally rapid. what are your phospate levels and what chemical filtration have you employed? rowaphos or perhaps a phosban reactor.

The pictures are in the gallery under "tanks"

After seeing the pictures and the tank in person, I'd like to go ahead and cast my vote for TOTM here? J/K

Please help this man. I've seen the growth and am two steps away from calling a priest for an exorcism on the tank! I mean, Tom has some great coral in there and I'd one day like to get a frag or two. Not to mention the poor Foxface that's in there. Is this goo bad for livestock or just real ugly to look at?

It looks like that could be Dinoflagellates. They look similar to cyano but tends to trap air bubbles and be more slimy/snooty. It's also much harder to get rid of. :(

Raising pH is suppose to help. Heres an article on it. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

I'm not sure if this stuff is Dinoflagellates because on the article you sent, it looks more like a green algae. This stuff is as the pictures shows. A dark red/brown looking beast!

Guest vatbrew

I had the same problem, I added another powerhead and put them on a wavemaker. Also changed my lights. No more gunk.

It looks like that could be Dinoflagellates. They look similar to cyano but tends to trap air bubbles and be more slimy/snooty. It's also much harder to get rid of. :(

Raising pH is suppose to help. Heres an article on it. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

Well, I believe the mystery of the guck has been solved. It apparently is a cyano...More specifically BGA (Blue/Green Algae) and even more specifically possibly named Monera Cyanophyta. Ehhhh, but I could be off on the kingdom and division. Never-the-less, according to some of the research I've done while hard at work :lol2: shows pictures consistent of what I've seen in Tom's tank. In addition, I found a site/article that explains just about anything you'll ever want to know about this ugly beast!

Happy reading and God speed!

You know you just posted the same site I posted? Thought you had something new and interesting!!!!

I showed the pictures to the hazmat team. They suggested quarantining the entire neighborhood.

bob

Update of a possible fix:

After reading Nates links, its bacteria.

1. I did not use any lights for three days.

2. I added no food for three days.

3. I turned on the lights this morning and there was virtually no red, black, or nasty anywhere. Three days earlier I had about given up. Most of my coral was covered and I thought I was doomed. Funny thing, when I turned on the lights I could see little critters on some of the red bacteria that was on my glass. They look like those bugs you see when you flip a rock in your backyard that are armored and can curl up for protection. I guess they have been eating that stuff. Because when I turn on the light, they began to leave the red and head for the rock cover. I think I might leave the lights on for today then leave off for two more, then off for one more and see if that kills it off completely.

I did not have to add more flow though.

Update of a possible fix:

After reading Nates links, its bacteria.

1. I did not use any lights for three days.

2. I added no food for three days.

3. I turned on the lights this morning and there was virtually no red, black, or nasty anywhere. Three days earlier I had about given up. Most of my coral was covered and I thought I was doomed. Funny thing, when I turned on the lights I could see little critters on some of the red bacteria that was on my glass. They look like those bugs you see when you flip a rock in your backyard that are armored and can curl up for protection. I guess they have been eating that stuff. Because when I turn on the light, they began to leave the red and head for the rock cover. I think I might leave the lights on for today then leave off for two more, then off for one more and see if that kills it off completely.

I did not have to add more flow though.

Okay, Tom - time for an update!! Did the slime eat the tank, or did the tank eat the slime?

bob

• 2 weeks later...

Todays update on the tank.

There is no more goo in it!

I have since replaced the lights and have 4x54watt T5's.

I have 4 maxijet powerheads in there, 2 1200 2 400's.

Everything seems to be growing great and the zoa's are multiplying which they have never done in my tanks.

I have added two True Percs and have had one foxface so there are now three fish.

I need to do a 20% water change and have been working on a hood but have not completed it due to it being too nice outside to work in the garage. I think I should take a pciture and post on what it looks like now. What do you think?

Cyno can grow very rapidly- When I used to have my Nano here at work I could cover up the cyno with sand or scoop it out and literally within two to three hours you could see any that I missed growing back out and with in four to five hours be back to about the same. It eventually forms a bit thicker mat that is easy to scoop out or suction out. But like others, I am convinced between using known good RO/DI (borrow a tds meter) and changing your bulbs in your lights- that control is within reach over a couple of weeks.

Now there are other really nasty brown diatoms (not the ones all our tanks cycled through in the first 4-5 weeks that ate up any silicone) The diatoms I am talking about are rare and difficult to fight- more a brownish ooze- I have not had them but there are threads on RC and one of our members here has fought through them.

I am happy to say that Im am yuch free so people around the neighborhood can start their tanks up again! I cannot believe that the sand is actually a very nice white after all that (&^&%% had left or been killed off.

I am happy to say that Im am yuch free so people around the neighborhood can start their tanks up again! I cannot believe that the sand is actually a very nice white after all that (&^&%% had left or been killed off.

Grats, Tom! I'm a newbie - so I didn't want to say anything - but in the same position, I guarantee I would have taken everything out and put it in buckets with heaters and powerheads, removed all of the sand, scrubbed the whole tank - and then put it all back together. That stuff just sounded TOO evil.

Now - come over and help me get rid of my brown algae. (actually - it seems to be slowing down; might even reverse itself and go away someday, like the hair algae did)

bob

Looking better but not great, yet... Check out my gallery now..

• 4 weeks later...

Talking about flow: I have a 25 gal thank with a 400 gph Skilter filter/skimmer. I also have a 500pgh powerhead that I disconnected. Is the Skilter 400 sufficient?

i would say the same thing try more flow and feed every other day. The MJ 600 and 1200 dont put that much flow out. I have about 2400 gph in my 75g. Thats what you call flow.

i would have to say not at all

• 4 weeks later...
Guest justin ragland

try to use a product called chemi-clean.Its for red alge and other stuff you dont want.I would also say what everybody else said and thats more flow sometimes will kill it for you.Thank you.