Rose BTA split

SDBDRZ

Well I got some pretty neat stuff for christmas but the neatest thing was this morning when I went down for a visual inspection of the tanks.  My Rose BTA split sometime last night.  I will post some photos in the gallery tonight after the lights come on.

I posted a few pics of the split in the gallery.

Actually I have not decided whether to sell the first split or not.  I already have two people in line for splits when I sell them, after that Wamas members get first dibs.  I have had the BTA for about 3.5 months and it was a clone I got from a guy on RC.  Hopefully the two I have will split again in another 3 months or so.

If anyone is interested I was at Coral Connection Friday and he has 2 Rose BTA's for sale.

I think he said $150 which is about what Roozens wanted for one a few weeks ago and what one on RC will cost you after you pay shipping.  I think the price of Roses is kinda rediculous but after shipping I did end up paying about that much for mine but I really wanted it.  Also I think the coloration of mine is pretty sweet.  If mine continues to clone I will be offering them at less than the prices on RC or any of the local stores, well at least for WAMAS members  :D

Guest cbo

I just looked at your pictures in the gallery section, and I second what gatortailale said. That is one of the best looking BTA's I have ever seen.  Can you post a little about your tank, lighting, skimming, feeding, etc?  Is the tank focused on the BTA, what else do you have with it?

Thanks,

cbo

I wish I still had a link to the guy's page but he had a few tanks full of rose BTAs because they kept splitting on him.  he was probably on the left coast where they seem more plentiful but still very expensive.  Anyway, I'd keep at-least 2 so you have more chance of getting clones in the future.  Do tell us your hardware and feeding technniques.

George that huge one you have a rose? Or did you get one recently??

Also, I was debating on either a blue carpet or a rose and curious if anyone has preference over one or the other, OTHER than looks? Im just starting to do some indepth reading on them to make sure Im up to par on housing an anemone but was curious if its just preference that people pick the blue carpet over the rose, and vice versa, when buying the high priced anemones. Or maybe there was an underlying situation I should be aware of.  Any and all info would be appreciated

Thanks again,

Mike

I've never even seen the blue ones. I have seen a gorgeous green/teal color one before the rose started to become the new gold to have. If you have any sites to refer me to so I can check them out, please do so. Also, if you find a great link to reading more about them, let me know as well.

I really don't know much about them, but it is my understanding that they are all about the same in terms of requirements: prestine water, medium strong lighting, direct feefin 2-3 times per week. They do host different types of clown though. Also, I have heard that when they start moving around trying to find their favorite spot, they can sting other corals in their path, so it is a good idea to place them not near other corals.

Back to our scheduled programing Mike...... :D

Can you post a little about your tank, lighting, skimming, feeding, etc?  Is the tank focused on the BTA, what else do you have with it?

Thanks for the kind words.  The BTA is in a 30g acrylic tank which is plumbed into my system.  The only filtration is macro algae in the refugium and a Southbay CS8-2 skimmer (Euroreef copy)  I have a 120g display tank(predominately SPS), 100g refugium, 100g sump and the 30g which houses the BTA and a mated pair of fire clowns.  The BTA tank has no pumps, it is gravity fed from my refugium and overflows into my sump (about 300-400gph with no direct flow on the BTA).  It is lit with a 175w 10K MH.  I feed my rose every other day with a large variety of foods but his main diet consists of whole peeled shrimp, squid, and a very meaty blender mush.  I occasionally feed him krill, formula 1, formula 2 and I am going to start feeding him silver sides.  I use the same feeding philosophy with the BTA that I use with my fish, variety and the more variety the better.  The BTA has not moved more than 2 or 3 inches since I put it in the tank.  

I have not decided whether to keep the clone or not.  If I do sell it my good friend Bob (Iceman) has dibs on the first clone, I may do this just to ensure that we have two in two different systems just in case.

Guest Scott324

Roberto,

The "Infamous" Roozens has a blue carpet in their display tank up front.  They seem to get them in quite often.  Carpets seem to be a little more sensitive and are known for eating tank inhabitants.  They are pretty expensive too.

Alberto: heres a link to marine depot of a pic

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/1123494.html

Scott, I had planned on keeping it in its own tank with some host clowns. I actually prefer their look over roses but wanted to make sure nothing was hidden in knowledge with them. Are roses more docile than carpets? As I might add SOMETHING later down the line to a 30g but mainly a soft coral or tube anenome. nothing that the carpet could catch as it swam by.

Mike

Mike:

That blue anemone looks like the son of a gun child of a leather and a frilly mushroom :D  :D  :D  Nice color though.

From what I have read, carpet anemones are more difficult to keep alive for the long term.  However, some people seem to have great success with them.  And yes, the are famous for eating anything that hops onto them (aside from the clown fish).

Whatever you do, research your choice first.  Clowns don't host in just any old anemone.  Certain clowns have their preferred anemone, and usually won't accept anything else.

Check out Phil Henderson's anemone article on FINS:

http://www.actwin.com/fins/

-Tom

Mike,

Just a word of caution.  I have never had one but I have heard that Tube Anemones are like an Aiptasia.  They reproduce like them too.  Fast!  You may want to look into them more before getting one.

George that huge one you have a rose? Or did you get one recently??

Mike,

I got the rose shortly after the last time you were at my house. I got mine on September 23rd. Here's a recent pic IM004960.jpg

George