Name this coral

Tom C.

Can anyone let me know what the name of this coral is? I bought it about eight months ago and have forgotten the name. Please help...

Edited by Tom C.

Dendrophylliidae:

Characteristics: lack zooxanthellae. this family contains the most common azooxanthellate species found on reefs. They're either solitary or colonial, with corallites are made up of walls that are porous, mainly filled with coenosteum in life, fused with distinct septa.

Dendrophylliids are found in tropical and nontropical regions, some of the ahermatypic, azooxanthellate ones to a depth of a 1,500 meters. The genera Turbinaria and Tubastrea are prominent shallow reef species in large parts of the tropical Indo-Pacific. Some Dendrophylliids are inconspicuous, but found in the tropical West Atlantic.

wow Inna... you bit me by seconds :wink: good job.

If it was anyone who would know it would be you. Thanks again for getting it for me. He is getting huge. He is about two inches in that pic but at night be can get up to four inches. I am looking to frag him when he starts have kids.

Do they split or show up in different parts of the tank? I want it to grow out and its VERY big (four inches for one of the polyps now) but dont want to frag it till sure that it is healthy. Dont know how fast they will grow either. Any ideas?

It's absolutely not a Tubastrea.

Dendro is a fairly rare, expencieve and a beautiful relatieve of Tubastrea.

Tom, if you ever frag - I'm in for a frag as well!

Two orange polyps on eBay for $142 plus shipping - bidding ends in a couple of hours :)

bob

Do they split or show up in different parts of the tank? I want it to grow out and its VERY big (four inches for one of the polyps now) but dont want to frag it till sure that it is healthy. Dont know how fast they will grow either. Any ideas?

It suppose to grow babies, like Tubastrea.

Mine does not grow at all. how often you feed yours?

Can i name it bob?

I can feed the big one a silverside every three days and the smaller one a half a silver every three days and they stay buff.

I can feed the big one a silverside every three days and the smaller one a half a silver every three days and they stay buff.

It is now officially "Bob"!

You're sure it isn't a tubastrea? Either way - I want one!

bob

Species of Dendrophyllia are often differentiated from Tubastrea on the basis of the smaller size of their calyces and by a greater tendency for branching and forming arborescent colonies. The two genera can be differentiated from the structure of the septa of their cleaned skeletons. In Dendrophyllia,the calyces follow the Pourtales Plan wherein the septa fuse in groups of three together at the center of the calyx. Tubastrea conversely shows no central fusion of the septa.

Species of Dendrophyllia are often differentiated from Tubastrea on the basis of the smaller size of their calyces and by a greater tendency for branching and forming arborescent colonies. The two genera can be differentiated from the structure of the septa of their cleaned skeletons. In Dendrophyllia,the calyces follow the Pourtales Plan wherein the septa fuse in groups of three together at the center of the calyx. Tubastrea conversely shows no central fusion of the septa.

You forgot the part where you have to kill it and examine the skeleton in order to actually make a differentiation. :)

bob

i think the dendros are pretty to but a tad expensive. i paid 40 bux for my sun coral and have had it for like a month and its already recovering nicely and sprouting new polyps. i feed every day .otherwise it is easy also i keep it under a cliff for its comfort