150W Metal Halide Light Able to Melt Center support?

Guest FZ1Rider

Guest FZ1Rider

I have a 65 Gallon tall tank with a plastic support in the middle. I just got a Outer Orbit 150W MH unit and the light sites right over the metal support. Do you think the MH will be hot enough to melt the support? Are there any ways (rather than mounting it to the ceiling) that I could solve this? I was thinking white paint, Tin Foil, insulation, or maybe replacing the support with 1 or 2 metal supports (glued to the outside of the frame on both sides).

Thanks for any input.

Peter

Guest FZ1Rider

I agree that I'll probably be safe after some more playing (and taking tempature readings). None the less the center support is wrapped in reflective insulation now. inside the insulation the tempature doesn't even break 80 (even the surface is a lot cooler. I may still be paranoid but I'll leave it as is for now.

BTW the light is about 2 inches off the top.

Thanks for the replies.

Peter

Guest FZ1Rider

The tank size is 65 Gallon. Its 36" long. I can't stagger it to the left or right because it sits on tip of the tank and the light is already set it place (It's and outer orbit fixture).

I thought about the tinfoil as well but the insulation isn't that thick that it causes more of a shadow (less than 1/4 inch thick, reflective plus it's rated at R 12.5) . I may switch out at a later point if the shadow really bothers me but if that happens I'll be installing a glass center brace or offsetting two braces on the left and right and removing the center one. I haven't really spent any time working out the stresses at hand so I'm not sure which is better / more feasible yet.

Peter