Walmart starting to give up on live fish

Guest Larry-T

Guest Larry-T

Wal-Mart to trim its ebbing pet fish business

The discount retailer's move amid sluggish demand is a blow for some suppliers.

From Reuters

February 12, 2007

CHICAGO

The last quote is true! There are too many "floaters" and their sales help isn't any help or even semi-knowledgable when it comes to fish. It's buyer beware there.

Edited by hbh

Glad to see Wal Mart is doing that. But you find dead fish everywhere. Petco and Petsmart policy is to scoop deads EVERY hour.

Been there, done that.

Now if we could get PETCO to stop selling marine fish and reptiles....the conservation quest will be greatly moved!

Disclaimer: the above thought was based on my area's petco only.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NickTide

I remember when they got those brand new marinland systems, I think they were $12,000 with a chiller built in for the goldfish side and all this high tech stuff to make it easy to keep them alive. I ended up buying some of their old lights and tanks. I also applied for the aquatics manager job. I didnt get the job, the new manager couldn't keep the fish alive in the $12,000 system, meanwhile, I was doing a fine job keeping stuff alive in there old tanks. LOL. I wonder how much I wil buy their $12,000 system forwhen they stop selling fish?

• 4 months later...

It's buyer beware everywhere. No exceptions.

I myself have seen (abd bought) decent fish at Wal-Mart in my time,

as well as marine fish at Petco (i still have several chromis I bought there

YEARS ago).

Some of the help at some of the locations is good, other is terrible.

tim

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I saw the tanks at the G-town Walmart the tanks were disgustingly filthy.

To speak on behalf and against behalf of Petco.... sometimes they have good people and sometimes are too lazy or cheap to get the right person. Many years ago I worked in a Petco for several months when "between jobs". When I got there, the tanks were nasty algae dominated dead fish-lined stinking messes. I got it all cleaned up, everything looking nice and doing well, got to slosh in water on a ladder. After I left, it went back to what it was before I got there. I must also say, that Petco at that time made every new employee go to a training in Virgina that was almost nothing but fish care, whether they were the fish dept people or not!