Protein skimmer recomendations

Guest vatbrew

Guest vatbrew

I'm trying to find a used skimmer under $200 that can run my 125. Any ideas

Guest vatbrew

+/- 80 gallons concerns me. I do want at least 8 fish.

Edited by vatbrew

Going to be tough with that budget. You will be lucky to gind a used ASM G4 at that price but i have seen them time to time. Next option would be a DIY with PVC (non Clear).

+/- 80 gallons concerns me. I do want at least 8 fish.

Just remember, ER underrates their skimmers and ASM drastically overrates theirs. I think that if you get the RS-80 promo and do the recirc mod you will be just fine.

Edited by steveoutlaw

Just remember, ER underrates their skimmers and ASM drastically overrates theirs. I think that if you get the RS-180 promo and do the recirc mod you will be just fine.

they have an RS-180 promo?....all I see is the RS-80 promo....would really bring the price down if they did

IMO WAY TOO SMALL. If you look at the description its says used on 125g reef for 6 months. Don't you wonder why he would get rid of a good functional skimmer in only 6 months of usage? You need a G3 or G4 (best option). G2 is more for a 75g or smaller.

Edited by phisigs79

The only recommendation I can make is that you not skimp on the skimmer. Buy one new or used that is sized for your tank or larger, keeping in mind that most companies over rate their skimmers. If you buy based on price alone, you will likely end up having to upgrade sooner than you think and end up spending more in the long run.

I bought a Coralife CSS-220 as my first skimmer because it seemed OK for the price and the price was within the range that I thought I could afford. The skimmer turned out to just that, "OK", but nothing special and it required constant adjustments. I upgraded to the BM 200 recently and I am very happy with the way it performs. If only I had purchased a better skimmer the first time...

The only recommendation I can make is that you not skimp on the skimmer. Buy one new or used that is sized for your tank or larger, keeping in mind that most companies over rate their skimmers. If you buy based on price alone, you will likely end up having to upgrade sooner than you think and end up spending more in the long run.

I bought a Coralife CSS-220 as my first skimmer because it seemed OK for the price and the price was within the range that I thought I could afford. The skimmer turned out to just that, "OK", but nothing special and it required constant adjustments. I upgraded to the BM 200 recently and I am very happy with the way it performs. If only I had purchased a better skimmer the first time...

Agreed. That's the boat I was in with my ASM. Now I have a Euro-reef and even with a bad pump it is outskimming my ASM.......Can't wait to see what it does when I get the new pump in.

Also, remember one thing.......it's a "pay me now or pay me later" deal. You can make the investment now and be happy or.......buy an "ok" skimmer and get frustrated with it's performance, sell it for a fraction of what you paid for it and end up buying the skimmer you should have bought in the first place.

Ok, you've now had way more than my .02.......good luck.

Edited by steveoutlaw

Guest vatbrew

Alright, Just ordered a brand-new EuroReef RS135. $324 shipped 2nd day air.

Guest vatbrew

Thanks to Tang-away for selling me his Euro-reef ES 6-2+. I just hooked it up and it is going NUTZ on my tank.

Pics are here

photos.yahoo.com/vatbrew

Thanks to Tang-away for selling me his Euro-reef ES 6-2+. I just hooked it up and it is going NUTZ on my tank.

Pics are here

photos.yahoo.com/vatbrew

:cheers: Thanks for taking if off my hands. It was/still is a great skimmer!!!! Thats some great foam its making, its the best for plug and play skimmers.

Edited by Tang-away