Sea Urchin that Eats Coralline Algae on Walls?

Guest Bemmer

Guest Bemmer

Hey I just read that a bunch of you have a sea urchin that eats the purple/pink coralline algae on the walls of the tank. I would love to have my tank walls clean again. I can't reach the sides because it is an in-wall tank. The algae has been growing for 9 months now. Would a sea urchin be able to "break" through? Does it also eat the algae on the rocks?

R-

Hey I just read that a bunch of you have a sea urchin that eats the purple/pink coralline algae on the walls of the tank. I would love to have my tank walls clean again. I can't reach the sides because it is an in-wall tank. The algae has been growing for 9 months now. Would a sea urchin be able to "break" through? Does it also eat the algae on the rocks?

R-

My B&W Long Spine now that the clown fish isn't molesting it is doing a fair job of mowing down anything in it's path. For a while I had a pin cushion that was eating all the coraline and green algae on my walls... gave that one away. It was doing too good a job

Guest Bemmer

My B&W Long Spine now that the clown fish isn't molesting it is doing a fair job of mowing down anything in it's path. For a while I had a pin cushion that was eating all the coraline and green algae on my walls... gave that one away. It was doing too good a job

When you say it was doing too good a job, was it eating the coralline algae off the Live Rock as well? If it stayed only on the walls, that would be exactly what I am looking for.

The long spine tends to strip my rocks, the pin cushion that I had before tended to stay mostly to the walls. Thay may have been unique to my Urchin or my system. I think they're "oppertunistic hunters" though. I use the term hunter very very loosely mind you.

• 8 years later...

a tuxedo urchin should help keep the coraline algae down in the hard to reach places.  These are reef safe.

When you say it was doing too good a job, was it eating the coralline algae off the Live Rock as well? If it stayed only on the walls, that would be exactly what I am looking for.

no urchin will stay only on the walls.

My tuxedo was on walls 90% of time. When it was off walls it was a holy tank terror. Since my frags aren't secured. The 2 urchins helped but couldn't even come close to keeping up with the coraline problem on back and side walls in my 125. They will help with rock algae if they like the taste of the algae

My tuxedo was on walls 90% of time. When it was off walls it was a holy tank terror. Since my frags aren't secured. The 2 urchins helped but couldn't even come close to keeping up with the coraline problem on back and side walls in my 125. They will help with rock algae if they like the taste of the algae

Harbor freight gel super glue works wonders for gluing corals down. And its super cheap, $4 for a 10 pack.

I invite you to try that in my tank! Doesn't even come close to sticking on slimy aged rockwork. The putty sometimes works for a little bit if it's a glue sand which but I have an upgrade coming no point in it. Plus the urchins get in the frag racks, on the bottom of tank, you name it. Thanks for that info tired of spending $5 a tube at BRS.

I invite you to try that in my tank! Doesn't even come close to sticking on slimy aged rockwork. The putty sometimes works for a little bit if it's a glue sand which but I have an upgrade coming no point in it. Plus the urchins get in the frag racks, on the bottom of tank, you name it. Thanks for that info tired of spending $5 a tube at BRS.

yah the putty has never worked for me.  I have given up on trying to use it.  But definitely give the harbor freight gel a shot.  It is thicker IMO than the BRS stuff.

Man, this thread is dusty.

If you want to get coraline off your glass, use a razor. Can't reach? Put a razor on a stick.

I was actually wondering if coral line would grow back faster if my urchin grazes at it? I would like more growth on the rocks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Umm... Not really, since the urchins usually eat it faster than it grows or spreads... You're better off just scraping some off randomly and hoping it helps seed where you want it to grow... It will eventually make it there

I currently have two, a variegated and a rock-boring urchin, in my 90.  They are great at keeping nuisance algae down.  For better or worse, there is plenty of coralline, both on the rocks and on the glass. My weapon of choice is the razor blade attachment to the mag float.

Eight years later, that is what I have to say.