Moonlight DIY idea

TROLL

I was thinking about making my own moonlight and by a weird thought- it came to me few nights ago, without even thinking about it during christmas.

They've sold a couple of LED christmas light during the holiday- are they the same as LED used in moonlight? If so, anyone got a couple of christmas lights wire left over from holiday that they might would be interested in scarfricing in the namesake of DIY.

I made my own moonlight from one of those cold cathode lights that they sell in compUSA. They are the ones that the kids are using now to pimp their computers. I got a blue one for $9.99 and hooked it up to an old power supply I had laying around. It's too bright, so covered the light with some black electricians tape to reduce the light. Works great, and it's cheap.

:cheers:

no not really. I took it apart and looked at it while i was building it, and it's really just a white cathode light inside of a clear plastic sleeve with blue tint to the sleeve. Since about 80% of the cathode is covered to reduce light, it really just adds enough light at night to see what's going on.

You know, I really should, but I don't. It's just on all the time. I think compared to the main lights, that the moonlight is so minor, that I just leave it plugged in all the time, and when the mains go out, the moonlight is what is left. I've been meaning to refine the whole moonlight setup a bit. Right now it's a mess of wires and a big ugly silver computer power supply are laying on top of the tank. i am going to move the powersupply down under the tank in a cabinet, and then cloean things up a bit. That is part of my upgrade plans for the future...

Lol, I did thought about using cold cathode bulbs... Maybe I'll attempt that some day on smaller tank.

For this project, I'm aiming to create one for 120g and the christmas light would have sufficent number of bulbs to serve as good moonlights.

Again, anyone have one? I've been looking on ebay but most are 220v or decorative caps are already glued on bulbs.

I might consider buying the bulk LED from Hong Kong but would need to find ballast to run those safely. It'll take me a while to solder those to wires or PCB boards, and run thru whatever enclosure might accomodate those LED array.

I'm thinking about using 1" PVC cut in 1/2 on the long side. That'll require table saw and my fingers'll have serious phobia :)

If any one is willing to build me a LCD moon light set up for my 55 gallon. I will give you all the blue leds and resistors for a 12v DC circut you need for what ever size tank in payment for building one that would fit my tank as well. I'd supply my own 12v powersupply... :biggrin: any DIYer's out there takers? Troll....? Dan...?

If any one is willing to build me a LCD moon light set up for my 55 gallon. I will give you all the blue leds and resistors for a 12v DC circut you need for what ever size tank in payment for building one that would fit my tank as well. I'd supply my own 12v powersupply... :biggrin: any DIYer's out there takers? Troll....? Dan...?

I'll see what I can do- wife usually don't let me play with power tools :lol2: Maybe we can talk a bit more when we meet.

Jason,

I have 2 coralife moonlight spotlights that I stopped using in favor of the cold cathode light. You can have them both in trade for a cup of sand from your system. They are not great, but they work, and I owe you a favor anyways. I used to have them mounted in my hood, and one got a little overheated being next to a MH light. It's slightly warped, but otherwise works ok.

John

How much are the bulk leds from Hong Kong? Any specs on the LEDs?

5mm (small profile 4mm) Water Clear Diffused Lens

4,000-6,000 mcd (luminous intensity)

3.2 - 3.8 volts operating range, @20ma

• 2 weeks later...

I had another crazy idea, well not crazy! I stopped by auto express today to replace my alternator/battery- that's other story.

Anyway, I saw they have L.E.D. brake light strip, 60" and 48" strips for $48, don't know why they're both same price but anyway, looks like it has about 30 to 50 LEDs on the array, sheilded by red polycarbonate cover.

Maybe if remove the array from the polycarbonate cover and place in clear one such as fluorscent lamp guard. Slap on 12v adapter for 120v outlet.

What ya'all think?

Not too crazy. I think I saw some threads over on RC a few months ago about folks using them for moonlights. Try searching the RC DIY forum.

Thanks, I checked all moonlights results on RC. None have mentioned about brake strip so I'll get one and experiment with it. Only $48 and worth to try since it's on one long strip of PCB which cut my time down on soldering anything. I'll post back when I'm done with my project :)

Still, I'll keep eyes out for LED christmas lighting and use it in my next DIY.

I stopped by and checked the 60" strip. It has flat curved top LED, not the round one... Not sure if it's good enough- I'll look more into it.