Any suggestions on SPS - mine keep dying

rmoyer001

I have had an established 150 gallon tank for about 3 months now. Whenever I put SPS frags, even montiporas they start strong and then die within a few weeks. My water chem is good although trates are starting to creep, although still low.

My guess is that it is from the water I am adding to replace evaporation. Phosphate is low and i keep ph/temp stabile during once a week water changes. Any suggestions would be welcome. I klnow it could be anything.

I have had an established 150 gallon tank for about 3 months now. Whenever I put SPS frags, even montiporas they start strong and then die within a few weeks. My water chem is good although trates are starting to creep, although still low.

My guess is that it is from the water I am adding to replace evaporation. Phosphate is low and i keep ph/temp stabile during once a week water changes. Any suggestions would be welcome. I klnow it could be anything.

Can you describe your system and give parameters? It hard to say without knowing the detailes :)

Edited by dzekunoi

150 gal reef-ready tank with a 30 gal sump with bio balls.

about 80-90 lbs of live rock

in sump skimmer

cal over 440 ppm

ph 8.3

water 80.0

phophates around zero

trates 10ppm - this is relatively new and decreasing with water changes over the past two weeks

as far as livestock

some damsels/gromies a fangblenny, coral beauty, 2 skunk cleaners, fire and pistol, lots of critters

all leathers, torch, fox, hammers do very well.

Need anything else? :bounce: appreciate the help

I have had an established 150 gallon tank for about 3 months now. Whenever I put SPS frags, even montiporas they start strong and then die within a few weeks.

OK,

Been up and running for three months and having some SPS die off huh?

Don't replace those that have died and give yourself about another three months to allow the tank to settle down some.

My water chem is good although trates are starting to creep, although still low.

read post #'s 5,6,7 and define "water chem is good" with those in mind.

My guess is that it is from the water I am adding to replace evaporation.

Then stop adding it for crying out loud.

If you're not adding clean water by DI, RO or both, buy it from an LFS until you can get your own unit to make it.

Phosphate is low and i keep ph/temp stabile during once a week water changes.

Try to keep them stable inbetween the water changes too. This will help a bunch!

Phosphate being low is fine and undetecable is desired, but if too high will inhibit calcification and you haven't mentioned nusiance algae so it must not be too high to inhibit coral growth.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I klnow it could be anything.

dont see any white nudi's salinity is around 1.022. i have been using tap water, which is what i think the issue is. Any suggestions on RO/DI

Any suggestions on RO/DI

Here's the one I use....

RO/DI

Most importantly, it's easy to use, easy to setup, and includes setups for undersink connection, faucet connection, of hosebib (i.e. clothes washer) attachments. Can make up to 100 gpd.

Zac

several things:

1st - get an RO/DI filter. The water in Sterling is awful and I assume Ashburn is getting the same water. When my RO filter needs new DI or new RO membrane, my tank tells me by growing lots of algae and the SPS stop growing. Of course, now I have a built in TDS meter after a big mess a couple of months ago caused by bad incoming water quality.

2nd - Why the bio-balls? This can cause nitrate creep. I pulled mine out, and my tank was much happier. If you do this, take 25% out for 4 weeks.

3rd - Increase your LR. 90 lbs of rock is not much in a 150. If you get rid of the bioballs, you really need to increase the LR.

4th - what kind of lighting are you using?

5th - Have you been to Fins and Feathers? Sean is a huge source of information and can help you with this.

I would be happy to come over a take a look. Also, when you are ready to get into SPS again, contact me, I can give you some frags. That way you can see if your tank is OK without dropping a lot of $.

Mike

Edited by quazi

several things:

1st - get an RO/DI filter. The water in Sterling is awful and I assume Ashburn is getting the same water.

2nd - get an RO/DI filter

3rd - get an RO/DI filter

....i think you get the point.

-Ben

Since we're beating a dead horse here, let me add one minor point to the discussion. Get a GOOD RO/DI unit. You can save lots o' money buying the el cheapo units on eBay and that's exactly what you get, an el cheapo unit. The good ones from a reputable retailer only cost a few buck more and they are worth every penny. JMHO but one I'm sure others will agree with.

Thanks - I may take you up on the frags - I am going to heed everyones advice and wait a few months. I agree with you more LR is a definte and Sean has been good to me