Lens for Nikon D50?

cbashaw

I'm thinking about buying a Nikon 50MM 1.8f lens for my Nikon D50

The lens is only $104.00 so I'm hoping with it being a f1.8 it will be an improvement over my 18-55 f3.5-5.6

http://nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&amp...;productNr=2137

The reviews on it all say the picture quality from this lens is great for the price but I have not seen any comments by anyone who one is using it for taking aquarium pictures.

Any opinions on this lens?

If your thinking for macro, you are going to want to look in the 90mm-105mm range. There are plenty of good reviews on this lense, just not for what I think you are going to use it for.

I think that's the one my wife is using for her portrait studio. Works fine there but I don't like it for my aquarium picture taking. I actually use an OLD quantaray 28-80 that I got for free from my fatherinlaw. I'm looking at getting a 60 or 90 macro lens for aquarium sometime down the road. But that definitely won't fit in the $100 range.

I'm actually looking for something to take better full tank shots and especially fish pictures because the stock lens tends to take blurry pictures of fish when they are moving.

It would be nice to have something that will take good macros too though.

I'm actually looking for something to take better full tank shots and especially fish pictures because the stock lens tends to take blurry pictures of fish when they are moving.

It would be nice to have something that will take good macros too though.

Yeah I'm itching for the good macros. But the pics I have of my fish (for the most part) turned out pretty well even with the 28-80 lens I have. See my "virtual reef" link below for pics. Every picture on the site was taken with that lens (including the header graphic etc). Ok, exceptions include the obvious stolen ones from liveaquaria (shrimp/crabs).

Guest beatle

Take a look at Bobby Phillips's site. He used the 1.8f lens for a lot of the pictures on his site and they are phenomenal. He raves about the 60mm 2.8 as well. I used a Canon 50mm 1.8 on my tanks, but I didn't care for most of the results. Wide open didn't afford very sharp images in the low levels of light in my tank. Due to the shallow DOF with a wide aperture, I found it more challenging to get exactly what I wanted in focus. I hear a fast 50mm is something that every photographer should have in his or her bag. :)

GET IT!!!! GET IT!!!

I used the 50mm 1.8 on a LOT of my tank shots. It is an AWESOME lens and is very sharp. Trust me. It is a great peice of glass and you wont be disappointed.

So who shoots with Canon :biggrin:

That's like posting that you like deep sand beds in a thread about bare bottom tanks. :drink:

very nice pic Beatle ... even though it's from a Canon :)

That's the type of shots I'm hoping to get with the 50mm lens

I got the lens a few days ago and I finally got a chance to play around with it today. So far I have found the colors are more accurate and I don't need to use Photoshop to adjust the colors like I did with the stock lens.I think with a little more practice it will take some great pictures.

zoos2.jpg

zoos.jpg

ZoosanSinularia.jpg

SPS.jpg

Sinularia.jpg

Hammer.jpg

GreenToadstool.jpg

FullTankShot.jpg