number of anthias for a 90?

Charlie97L

i'm going to be ordering some lyretails from NYaquatics... i was wondering how many i should get.

90gallon (48x18x24) w/ 33 gallon long sump and 4 gallon fuge

deltec ap 600

2 tunze 6000s on a controller (xmas present!!)

eheim 1262 CL on a wavy sea

planned stocking list

yellow tang (already there)

kole tang (already there)

purple firefish (already there)

scooter blenny (already there)

lyretail anthias (#?)

scott's fairy wrasse (on order)

just looking for what would be a good number.

thanks guys!!!

1 male

3 females

Guest seantadez

you don't think i could do 5-6?

i ask to vendors and they recomend 1 male 2 female, max 3 female... well in my case 120G

you don't think i could do 5-6?

Weren't you just saying i was pushing my bioload with 3 damsels in my tank? LOL ask raff hes got a great set up and they look stunning. I belive it's a male and two females

Weren't you just saying i was pushing my bioload with 3 damsels in my tank? LOL ask raff hes got a great set up and they look stunning. I belive it's a male and two females

yeah, he has bimacs! too pricey for me.

i'm way overskimming, though, too jason. my skimmer is rated for i think 130 heavily stocked, and normal stocking on a 200... so i can get away with a little more. :) not MUCH more, but a little, plus deltec underrates their skimmers even in that situation.

Edited by Charlie97L

Maybe I should clarify, I'm going to be running an ETSS 600 series skimmer with a mag 7 on a 55 gallon :biggrin: my bb name means something. He is running a good deal on the anthias right now though $12!!

Edited by jason the filter freak

how do you guys handle multiple feedings with the anthias. i would love to get some at the request of my boss and if she aint happy well you know.. so i have a 125gal and my list is what i have. yellow tang coral beauty angel and two yellowtail damsels. what i plan to add. a mandarin dragonet a clownfish and a bluethroat or a powderblue tang. though i am reluctant because the yellow tang will have several months on the powder blue. anyway how often do you guys feed these fish. i hear four or five times a days is what you want. but if you arent retired this is impossible. recommendations and i guess i would be getting 1 male and 3 females as well

also a melanarus wrasse

Maybe I should clarify, I'm going to be running an ETSS 600 series skimmer with a mag 7 on a 55 gallon :biggrin: my bb name means something. He is running a good deal on the anthias right now though $12!!

yes, but are you running that YET? once you've got that up, yeah man, stock away, but it's not there, til it's there, if you know what i mean. :)

i'm way overskimming, though, too jason. my skimmer is rated for i think 130 heavily stocked, and normal stocking on a 200... so i can get away with a little more. :) not MUCH more, but a little, plus deltec underrates their skimmers even in that situation.

Skimming has very little to do with appropriate stocking levels, sure you skim more crap out of the tank but the first considerations in stocking levels should be the potetial size of the fish, swim room required, territorial issues, etc, etc.

Skimming has very little to do with appropriate stocking levels, sure you skim more crap out of the tank but the first considerations in stocking levels should be the potetial size of the fish, swim room required, territorial issues, etc, etc.

i agree with you partially. obviously size, swim room, and territoriality ARE the first consideration. i wouldn't consider it ok to put 5 tangs in a 90, for instance, regardless of a skimmer.

we're talking, really, about schooling fish here, specficially, and especially with anthias/chromis, overskimming helps keep your parameters stable.

Hey Charlie, Blue Ribbon should be getting in a bunch of female lyretails this week and if you get there early you could get first pic.

The two limiting factors are bioload and space... and they are independant of one another... It's very hard to tell people what their system could handle bioload wise because there are so many factors that go into that. Space wise is much easier... Speaking from experience with lyretails you have the space for the five or six you'd like, assuming you have adequate refuge to break up the territories a little bit.

Jamal, Lyretails and many common hardy anthias do fine on two feedings a day, but at one they could ware thin... I feed mine when I get home from work around 6 or 7 and before I hit the sack around 11.

I guess I am just an old timer when it comes to these topics because I think most people overstock their tanks. I have a 180 with less fish than your 90 will have. I have a purple tang and a kole tang and I know I would not put those 2 fish in a 90g together.

Bioload is important but with proper stocking levels overskimming wouldnt really be necessary.

To each his own I guess.

Edited by SDBDRZ