Pump noise

tree

I just set up a second pump for use with a SCWD.  It is a mag 7.  Are they all this noisy?  It sounds like I have a refrigerator running in my sump   sht]]   It is hard plumbed & that could be contributing to the noise as well.  Any suggestions other than changing the plumbing?  I have a Rio 2100 as the other pump & it hardly makes any noise at all.

How recently was the impeller and impeller chamber cleaned?  May be that it is rather gunked up and cleaning may quiet it down.  Soak the impeller in vinegar and try to clean the inside of the chamber by standing it on end and pouring vinegar in there for a good soak as well.  If the impeller is worn/damaged, it will get out of balance and get noisy.

Is the pump sitting on the bottom of a glass tank?  I put some silicon beads on the bottom of my Mag7 so it is not a vibrating piece of metal right on the glass.  Others have used filter floss as a pad under the pump.

s

Definitely check the impellar.  If the noise is being transmitted a mouse pad makes for good vibration noise reduction.

Watch out on the mouse pad. I have seen posts where people have had

chemicals get release into the water.

Some styrofoam pad should do the job, provided the pump can hold it down

from floating.

-krish

Guest JFish
I have a mag 7 that from the start, brand new, was a rattling machine.  It just sits in the closet now cause I don't want to give it to anyone or sell it cause I know nobody wants something that loud... maybe it's defective, mine certainly is.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  It is a brand new pump so the impeller should not need cleaning, but I'll check it anyway.  The water going to the sump is prefiltered in the overflow box.  So the only buildup to ever occur will be the normal slime/algae/calciferous buildup that wouldn't get stopped by a filter anyway.

I'll get a filter pad to go under it to see if that will help the noise.

My mag7 has cracked the impeller housing twice in 3 years.  It causes the impeller to wobble and make a ton of noise.  As for a "pad", I use rubber shower and tub liner.  It's used below tile in tubs and showers.  You can get it in sheets or a roll at Home Depot or Lowes.  Look in the plumbing dept.  It's about 1/8" thick and you can cut it any size.  Plus you don't have a nitrate producing sponge to clean every week or more.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw a post on RC the other day that said if you contact Danner, they will send you a pad to sit the pump on at no cost.  Apparently the MAG 12's and above come with this.  I have e-mailed Danner and I will follow up when I get an answer.

I've got a MAG12 setup on my 90Gal tank with a SCWD with almost no noise, its running in a 20gal sump below internally. Provides a good deal of pressure and seems to be working great!

Howard

Well, here is what we did.  We had leftover pond liner, so I used that under the Mag7 - we still had the noise.  After a lot of fiddling, cleaning & checking the impellor & casing, looking for any plumbing that might be running against the sump/fuge or the display, we finally realized that the SCWD unit was touching the canopy.  After putting a mouse pad behind the SCWD, the noise has been reduced to a hum which is not very loud   [hro   Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

• 3 months later...
I saw a post on RC the other day that said if you contact Danner, they will send you a pad to sit the pump on at no cost.  Apparently the MAG 12's and above come with this.  I have e-mailed Danner and I will follow up when I get an answer.

Any updates on this?

Well... I e-mailed Danner Mfg as I noted above.  I received a reply in a days time from someone.  The message was a notice of my request being forwarded to someone else.  That is the last I received from them.  I sent an e-mail to each party separately a week later to follow up.  I then sent e-mail to both of them together about a week later.  They never got back to me, so how is that for an answer?

This is all I ever received from them.  

You questions has been sent to valf@dannermfg.com .

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 9:24 AM

To: billm@dannermfg.com

Subject: Pump Pads

Bill,

I was talking to someone the other day and the subject of pump noise came up in regards to my MAG-Drives.  They said that Danner has pads available to aid in the transmitted vibration noise.  I have and use a MAG 5, 7 and 9.  Could I get pricing and information for pads?  

Regards,

Dave

I have tried to contact them to get some new screws for a mag 3 (I lost them after cracking the casing).  Try calling them- my understanding is that they are good over the phone.

Hmm, good call Mike.  Not sure why I did not call them before.  The pads are made for the 9.5's and larger.  You can certainly use them with smaller models by trimming or applying a little ingenuity.  They are roughly 3.5" square and somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" thick.   The cost is $1 + shipping.