Lighting: What's good these days?

Hello WAMAS! 

I'm a firm believer of "it's light, it grows things," but what is best bang for the buck these days? Looking to start a conversation to reach a solution, but also help those in a similar situation. I have 3 nano tanks I'm potentially starting, and I'll be moving them around, so preferably a clip/bracket solution VS hanging. I'm looking to keep softies, LPS, easy stuff, so I don't need Radion status. 

I'm thinking the AI Primes will fit my needs just right, but I did see a few tanks in real time with the Blade lights, and I like the way that they look. I dug a little deeper on reviews, and they are not great at all. That being said, I think any Reef LED Lighting has had mediocre reviews, but I've never experienced any of the issues others have. 

Should I just get some clip lamps and go old school with a par38 bulb? 

(edited)

I'm running 6 nanos at the moment.  4 have kessil a80 tuna blues, which seems quite underpowered to me (package deal), but do have a nice look.  I'm also running dalua pixels over another tank which have good color and good punch, but are lacking in controllability.  Just intensity, not spectrum.  And on my 30 I've got the nicrew 150 that @epleeds references, and two more a80s.  Bang for the buck, hard to beat the nicrew.  I like it enough that I imagine it's what I'll go with in my next two school tanks, a 20 cube and a 28 lowboy.  And you can daisy chain kessil (a80s at least) and nicrews from the same nicrew conroller.  

The last option that I'd entertain would be the noopsyche k7 mini.  They are getting solid reviews at a inexpensive price point.  

I can't speak to "smart" integration as I don't have an aquarium  controller.  

I used to enjoy the science of reef lighting, but LEDs have made it dummy proof what with they seemingly unlimited controllability.  Trial and error is a simple as pressing a few buttons, unlike the old days when we had to study spectral plots and then make educated guesses on which bulb combination was best.

Edited by gastone

Look at smatfarm on amazon its far and away the best cheap led fixture way better then nicrews.

It's hard to beat the nicrew as it basically stole the design of the G4 radio which I still firmly believe is the best light they have ever made. Control is done manually on the fixture or with a kessil controller. 

All depends if you are the set it and forget type or have to constantly tinker with the light on a phone app. 

If I were buying a new LED today it would probably be a reefi uno/duo if I was willing to pay a bit more, but on a budget it's super hard to beat the nicrews. A guy down in Richmond (Ben Jones) has tons of high end corals under them and they are all growing and coloring like crazy.

Thanks all, this is super helpful information! 

18 hours ago, gastone said:

The last option that I'd entertain would be the noopsyche k7 mini.  They are getting solid reviews at a inexpensive price point.  

I'm actually running the K7V3's on my display at the moment. I have been happy with them, I'm also running x4 T5 bulbs. Pain in the butt to set, but once you get them there it's easy. 

14 hours ago, ranger said:

Look at smatfarm on amazon its far and away the best cheap led fixture way better then nicrews.

Have you used the nicrews? What makes them better? 

Look them up it will be quite obvious...the nicrew is nice but for a 100 bucks less the smatfarm is just better.