Cutting Acrylic

BeltwayBandit

I have a piece of 1/2" acrylic that I need to trim about 1" from. I'm thinking about using a dremmel to trim the piece, but wanted to check and see 1. Would a dremmel work and 2. If yes, what bit should I use?

I know cutting acrylic can be tricky and the key is to keep it from getting too hot and melting, but I am unsure what tool to use. I also have a jig saw and a circular saw, but I think a dremmel would be easier for such a small cut. (24" long side that I am trimming about 1" off of.

Suggestions?

Depends how clean a job you're after.

A dremel will work but a nice carbide crosscut on a circular saw is better.

If you really want the cadillac, PM me and we can trim it and joint the edge.

I just bought a special blade that fits on my table saw to cut acrylic. I tested it out a little while ago and it cuts staright and clean. If your in the Haymarket VA area I can try to cut it for you.

I am trimming the base plate on a DIY Calcium/Kalk/Sulphur reactor that I recently purchased. I'm not too interested in a cadillac cut as Chip called it. The thing is built like a tank so I don't really want to have to move it again.

If I was going to try the dremmel, would a roto-zip (spiral saw) blade be my best bet?

I am trimming the base plate on a DIY Calcium/Kalk/Sulphur reactor that I recently purchased. I'm not too interested in a cadillac cut as Chip called it. The thing is built like a tank so I don't really want to have to move it again.

If I was going to try the dremmel, would a roto-zip (spiral saw) blade be my best bet?

The Keeper of the Shrine of the Home Despot says that a dremmel might heat up too much because of the friction in such a small surface area. He suggests the table saw with a 80 tooth blade dewalt solid surface/plastics blade.

I bet the dremmel would really heat up.

Guest alex wlazlak

at school my buddie cut acrylic on the table saw, it cut real nice it it wasnt even a high number of tooth blade, but it cut nice and didnt even chip. id say just setup a straight edge and clamp it down, then just cut nice n easy with the circular caw.. the jig saw would work just aw well too, you can get cheap blades at home depot for cutting plastic and acrylic.

meter saw or meter box with hand saw should work well

Ok i sorta ignored this thread at first because I had no acrylic, but after picking up the sump and what i think was a hang on fuge off the freebie table, which i'm going to convert to an over flow for my sump, any one tell me what the best way to drill a hole for a bulk head in to the side of an acrylic sump? a drimmel with a cutting blad and paticent or a power drive with a hole cutting bit with fine teeth and a very low tourqe setting

? :gho: