Red Sea Reefer 250: Plumbing Replacement/Upgrade - Where to Get, and What to Look For

p3rmafrost

Good Morning WAMAS -

The plumbing on my Reefer 250 is showing some age. It's starting to get salt buildup on the joints and it looks like I'll need to take it apart and reseal it, or replace it. I wanted to ask the community if anyone has had any success upgrading the plumbing on these tanks, and if so, what did you do to improve it? I know a lot of folks complain about the valve on the Red Sea tanks (which I understand), so that's something I'd like to look into replacing.

Are there any off the shelf kits available? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction? I checked with Red Sea and they advised to speak with a local authorized dealer for parts.

Thanks!

The orings that are in all the joints need to be replaced. You would need to get a metric to standard adapter/union. If memory serves it is 25mm plumbing on that tank. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

So you think skip the "upgrade" and pick up new o-rings all around and call it a day?
Your call if you want to redo the plumbing or not. I just know the orings definitely need to be replaced if your seeing salt creep/leaks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I don't know what there is to upgrade - are you having problems with anything in particular?  An O ring replacement and full cleanout of the pipes would probably do a fair bit of good, but if you're actually replacing things, I believe all of Red Sea's plumbing is metric dimensions, so sourcing parts will be trickier than just going to the big box shop.

I’m going to double check, but I believe Red Sea has the red g2 “upgrade” plumbing kits with their newer gate valve available for older reefer tanks.

If you really wanted an upgrade, the bulkhead is a big triple flange siliconed on with three nuts on the bottom, it is not tough to get out if the tank is empty.

get that sucker out to fit 3 x 1” bulkheads and implement a higher quality sch80 gate valve on the drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Huh - I didn't know that was an option. It's something I would certainly consider, one problem though, the tank is full and I have no plans to drain it. If I could get it done full it might be worth a shot.