Flipper Max Vs Tunze Care Magnet

TonyInVa

I have always used the Flipper Max but looking for something that is better for stubborn coralline algae. Please give me your opinion if you have used both or think there is something better. Aquarium is glass.

I owned both and a few other (magnavor, algae free, mag float extra large). They all good for cleaning your glass, but IMO no mag cleaner can take care of the stubborn coralline algae. 

Manual scrapper is the only tool that works for me.

The only way the mag cleaner might be usefully is that you clean your glass DAILY!

Oh! forget the Tunze magnet care. it's awkward and small handle that give you finger cramp after using it.

I have the Túnez care, and it works well. The newer versions that float actually have a pretty comfortable handle (they basically slapped the same foam that goes inside to make it float on the handle to make it bigger). It also has a metal blade attachment for more stubborn algae. I haven’t had a lot of coralline growth yet, so do t know how well it will work there, but have had some pretty hard green algae that it has taken care of easily with the metal blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I've just went through like 4 scrapers. The best one hands down is a combo of two scrapers. Tunze inside and Algae free outside. I found the Tunze outside magnet just isn't strong enough. I barely have to use effort finally and the coralline scrapes right off. With the Tunze I used the metal blade on the inside magnet. 

Edited by wildcrazyjoker81

I had a flipper a few years ago and it scratched the H-E-double hockey sticks out of my tank. I think it doesn’t sit off the glass enough and traps sand under it.  I switched to Tunze and they do so much better and are good at clearing coraline. With the razors, even better. If it’s super thick coraline that’s been growing for a while, it might need hand scraping. 

In my experience, a properly size Tunze is the best. I went from Tunze long to strong on my Reefer 450 and it’s a beast. 

Edited by nburg