Heater control broke, looking for recommendations

lowsingle

Hi all, I noticed today that my heating control system failed (I’m glad I have an apex back up for monitoring).  Anywho, the tank temp has dropped to 70, whereas my set point is 76.  Corals and fish seem fine…..how fast do you think I should ramp up my temperature to my set point?  It looks like this happened on Thursday…..

thanks

Darren

14 minutes ago, lowsingle said:

Hi all, I noticed today that my heating control system failed (I’m glad I have an apex back up for monitoring).  Anywho, the tank temp has dropped to 70, whereas my set point is 76.  Corals and fish seem fine…..how fast do you think I should ramp up my temperature to my set point?  It looks like this happened on Thursday…..

thanks

Darren

It will be ok just to set the heater to 76 immediately. Depending on the tank size it could take a while to get up to temp. I’ve done this numerous times with no ill effects.

2 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

It will be ok just to set the heater to 76 immediately. Depending on the tank size it could take a while to get up to temp. I’ve done this numerous times with no ill effects.

I agree.

In the future, you might consider running multiple heaters that are staged. For example, your primary heater might be set at 76 and a backup is set to come on at 73. That way, as long as the primary heater is working, the temperature in your tank is controlled while the backup remains off. If the primary fails, the temperature will then drop to below 73 and the backup heater will turn on. You can set an alarm, then, to notify you of the lower temperature and won't find yourself in a bind because the backup will hold things down for you.