New ich killer from LiveAquaria

AlanM

https://www.sundew.bio/products

In April, Live Aquaria is going to start selling this as "Proto Pro" that asserts reef safe ich treatment in a full reef.  I'm interested in seeing early reviews.  I would likely not use it in a full reef, but if it worked well in QT that would already be great.  Copper is pretty harsh and prazi doesn't last long enough to achieve consistent treatment concentrations from what I've read.

Interesting, to say the least. I mean, Bacillus thuringiensis kills larval mosquitoes (and related insects), so I'd be very curious about something that could kill both freshwater and marine ich (different parasites)... and what else in our tanks??

Their website is a bit confusing as it discusses a microalgal extract as the active ingredient... then talks about how they're using something to deliver a vaccine. Those two things are not congruent in my mind. There's not a lot of info in general, which would make me very leary of any sales pitches (ahem - Vibrant, anyone?)

Their website touts an incredible slate of talent, on the R&D, development side, manufacturing/production, etc., all supported by a strong board ... so either they truly have something their investors believe in... or... well... I don't want to be negative. I'm just surprised to see that level of talent going toward a fish parasite. Yes, the food industry needs something like this (high cost), but this sort of staff comes with a high cost too. I'd be interested in understanding the break-even point. 

I'll be keeping an eye on this one. But, I'm not eager to invest without more info. 😁

I thought the microalgal chloroplast thing was a different product?

I agree the two of them together there are confusing and don't seem related.

1 hour ago, AlanM said:

I thought the microalgal chloroplast thing was a different product?

I agree the two of them together there are confusing and don't seem related.

I think so too, but it's on the same product page. Just seems like something random that marketing added in. 🤔 

I’ll certainly be interested, yet skeptical. Would be great if they started going to some of the trade shows and/or talking to some of the well known folks in the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope lots of people use it right away on release in April so we hear lots of experiences good or bad.  Live Aquaria is owned by Petco now, right?  We have known the folks there for a long time, and it seems like if they put out something with their name on it we should be able to trust it, assuming those people are still in charge.

.... Live Aquaria is owned by Petco now, right?  We have known the folks there for a long time, and it seems like if they put out something with their name on it we should be able to trust it, assuming those people are still in charge.

Yes, Live Aquaria was bought by Petco.

The most prominent name that I remember from Live Aquaria (Rhinelander facility) was Kevin Kohen. Kevin moved on from LA in 2021,though,and now works for Quality Marine.

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, AlanM said:

I hope lots of people use it right away on release in April so we hear lots of experiences good or bad.  Live Aquaria is owned by Petco now, right?  We have known the folks there for a long time, and it seems like if they put out something with their name on it we should be able to trust it, assuming those people are still in charge.

Me biting my tongue trying not to discuss how the quality of their fish has changed...