What eat my Xenia ?

mling

My wife’s only interest in my Reef tank, a Pulse Xenia, got eaten by one of my critters over nite.  I have had this Xenia for about a month now.  One day it was fine, the next day it was gone.  I have not had any new livestock for over a month.  The only recent addition was a Royal Gramma to replace one that went carpet surfing !

The other livestock, or suspects, are a Tomato Crown, Ocellaris Clown, Cardinalfish, Firefish. Flame Scallop & Scooter Blenny; I don’t think any of them did it since I’ve never seen any of them nip at any corals.  The culprit is more likely to be one of my cleaning crew / sand shifters -> blue & red leg hermits, 1 inch Horseshoe crabs, Mithrax crabs, coral banded shrimp, peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp and a bunch of snails.  

Let play Clue,  who do you think did it ?  I think it is Dr Mithrax or Miss Coral Banded.  Is there anything I can do or do I just have to risk blowing any other $30 bucks on another Xenia?  I only believe in capital punishment when it comes to humans, not inverts  :)

Your water quality ate it.

Not saying the water quality is bad, it's probably better then what the xenia likes.

Xenia does this for no traceable reason other than water.

Most people report xenia likes regular additions of iodine.

Most likely it srunk to a blob and then vanished.

If you are wanting to replace your xenia im sure there or alot of people whou would give you a frag as it over grows in their tanks. i would but just adding water to my system this week so im not established yet. (salts are a mixin  clp]] )

Water too good ?   I didn't know that could ever be a problem.  I do add Iodine to my tank, the Xenia being one of the reasons.  Let me know if anyone has some Pluse Xenia to spare.  I don't have anything to trade since my tank is only about 5 months old.

When something like this happens.  Do I have to remove the "blob" which is all that is left of the Xenia ? Would leaving it cause problems due to it being a dead tissue ?  I don't want to remove the rock becasue it still has a Sinularia on it.

Guest clownfish4
What are your water parameters and what all do you dose?  My bet is the your emerald or horseshoe crab ate it.  I have a surplus, but am a little hesitant to give it to you if it will be eaten.

leave it there it was only eaten i will probably grow back xenia is funny sometimes i have had shrivel and die for what seemed to ba absolutly no reason maybe get a small frag from someone and keep a very close eye on it to see if its getting picked at and if so eithere remove the xenia or the its predator

Nothing on your list sounds like it would have attacked a healty colony.  Some of the shrimps/crabs may have gone after dead flesh if a colony crashed.

Leave the blob.  IME, Xenia will grow back from even the smallest bit of flesh left on the rock - even when I have purposely been trying to rid it from a section of my tank, scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

Whatever you do, don't spend any more money on Xenia.  If you want to stop by some night this week, I'll give you several stalks - I'm in need of some trimming anyway.

Cheers

Mike

I would be interested in taking up your offer, Mike.  You live in Dupon, is it near Dupon circle ?  I work downtown in DC.

Only problem I see is...  would you give Xenia to a Bama fan ? clp]]

But then again, you have been beating us lately..... [tr]

Hmmm... Bama... yeah, that's okay I guess.  I got nuthin' against Bama.  So long as you are not a Longhorn - well, unless you are a Horn with some nice sps pieces... ;)

Sent you pm.

Cheers

Mike

You may want to look around for hidden crabs. I had a crab in my tank that came on coral I purchased from GARF. The crab was cool until it grew and ate all my Xenia. He was always hidden and I would have never known he was there until I saw some rocks moved.

And he did do I good job all my Xenia was gone never to be seen again.

The crab has since been moved to my FOWLR tank.

Chris