KP aquatics live rock is impressive

lowsingle

So I started my new tank with dry rock that I ran in my sump for several months.  So my new build has been up for almost 3 months but I am not happy with progress.  My parameters are all solid and I have good coralline algae growth but a test frag of green slimer died in a week (and that is a hardy sps).  So I decided to add some live rock to try to speed the bio-diversity progress.  It arrived today and the quality was impressive.  It looked as good as live rock did “back in the day”.  They also have some nice shapes to them.  Mine had pods, a shrimp and even a fish in it!  I am curing it now….I hope I can keep it looking good.  Anywho, I will post in the free section but if you are looking for a fish or a piece of live rock I plan to give one away as it is more than what I need.

Darren

Good point, perhaps I am grasping at straws, but I don’t want to spend more, a better strategy would be aqua-biomics tests before and after followed by a longer term test, but I’m just a hobbyist ?

Darren

What do you mean curing it?  If you had it shipped overnight/in water, it should have minimal dieoff and you should just treat it as normal livestock.  A lot of the stuff growing on it will be photosynthetic or will need some kind of food (like particulate for a filter feeder), so "curing" it like with longer time in transit rock will actually kill off some things that made the trip.

For the more live stuff my approach would always be a 'soft cycle' where you basically water change away any initial ammonia spike - but with an established tank and quickly shipped rock, there shouldn't be much.

KP has had good rock since they were called SeaLife Inc, though, and I've been quite happy with other gulf maricultured rock.

2 hours ago, lowsingle said:

So I started my new tank with dry rock that I ran in my sump for several months.  So my new build has been up for almost 3 months but I am not happy with progress.  My parameters are all solid and I have good coralline algae growth but a test frag of green slimer died in a week (and that is a hardy sps).  So I decided to add some live rock to try to speed the bio-diversity progress.  It arrived today and the quality was impressive.  It looked as good as live rock did “back in the day”.  They also have some nice shapes to them.  Mine had pods, a shrimp and even a fish in it!  I am curing it now….I hope I can keep it looking good.  Anywho, I will post in the free section but if you are looking for a fish or a piece of live rock I plan to give one away as it is more than what I need.

Darren

So......how would you rate the ordering/pickup process? 

Ordering was easy, I only did the 10 lb shipped to your door in water option so just like buying anything else from the internet.  I did not do the pickup at airport option that people who purchase a lot of rock do, which is what I think your question was asking……

Darren

14 hours ago, lowsingle said:

Good point, perhaps I am grasping at straws, but I don’t want to spend more, a better strategy would be aqua-biomics tests before and after followed by a longer term test, but I’m just a hobbyist ?

Darren

A lot of our hobby is base off hobbyist experimenting :)  but yeah aquabiomics can get spendy unless you do their bulk buy.