Help with FX5 motor!

Still_human

My original fx5 motor is stuck(maybe just needs a tap, or something?), but the screws r rusted, so I had to buy a new bucket and new motor, but it’s seemingly impossible to do anything with screwing it on. The bucket has these weird things instead of nuts, and the screws, which leave u no room to work with, don’t seem to go in. I’m about to return them and buy a whole new fx5 or fx4, but hate the idea of that much money, especially cause I’m just stuck by stupid rusty screws, and again by stupid Fluval parts. I guess my last option is to see if I can find someone who would be able to try to do it for me, if it’s even possible. I already put in for returning the bucket and motor, but can cancel the requests, but don’t want to put that and a working filter off, so I just have by the weekend at the longest. If anyone local(Columbia, Howard county)can help, I’d be happy to hear from you!

I’ll take pictures. Sadly tho, with the replacements I just got, I realized that it’s 100% impossible for me to do anything with the screws(on or off), even in brand new pieces. Fx5 uses some weird not-nut pieces I’ve never seen, that screws don’t seem to go into, and by removing them there’s no room to hold an actual but stable to screw into. It doesn’t help that they give u no room to work:/ at this point I’m probably gonna hafta just buy a new one, and try to return the motor and bucket:(

What the heck is THIS stupid thing? This is what’s ruining everything, both on the rusted original filter, and the brand new bucket/motor! It’s why I can’t remove the rusted screws, and the hole is too small for any screws to fit through. It’s not just one of them, it’s all of them are just SLIGHTLY too small for screws to screw in.

C48DA7A7-6F30-4424-8D54-2DEFAE5E11DF.jpeg

That looks like a nut that clips into the unit. Is it threaded inside? If so, you can take it to Home Depot or Lowe's to find the correct screw that would fit it. You might consider stainless steel machine screws to help with rust. You should also match the length of the current screws. The old threads are likely rusted in the nut making it difficult to remove. Not sure if you can use something like WD-40 to loosen the current screws and be able to remove it all so that it doesn't get in the water.

Edited by WheresTheReef

That's a captive nut in a clip. On close inspection, are there any threads left in it? Or were they frozen to the screw and stripped out (or filled with threads stripped from the screw)?

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Actually, it turned out that most of the screws in the boxes I bought were off by whatever is the smallest measurement there is lol. I had to get 3 boxes of the screws in order to find enough that fit! I got it all set up now, though:)