Tank Upgrade - Livestock Considerations

p3rmafrost

Hello Everyone!

I posted recently on the logistics of upgrading from a Reefer 250 to a larger tank, and I received a ton of valuable feedback. Once I started looking at tank dimensions I realized there are a lot more options than I had originally considered. I was originally thinking about increasing the length of the tank from 3 feet to 4, but I have seen quite a few taller cube style tanks that are beautiful. So, my question is, what are the lines of demarcation when it comes to new livestock? For example, it seems like fish like tangs need a 5 foot wide tank, but 4 feet will do for certain smaller species. Who benefits from a taller tank? Part of my philosophy on the upgrade is that I want to be able to rework the aquascaping and add livestock that wouldn't be compatible with a 3 foot wide tank. When do you start seeing diminishing returns on size? Is there a happy spot for most fish? How big does it need to be so that territorial fish won't assault the whole tank?

That was a lot of questions...hopefully someone will get the conversation started by sharing their experience. I'm excited to hear your thoughts.

From what I have heard - only a sea horse really benefits from a tall tank - but i remember someone saying tangs can act weird in short tanks, like a frag tank. 

4 foot tank should be fine for something like a single smaller tang: yellow, tomini, kole, purple, one-spot foxface (close enough) etc. I think the difference in 3 foot to 4 foot is huge. 5 foot is a little better than a 4, 6 ft is a good deal better than a 5 (maybe some larger tangs and multiples), etc. 

IMO, difference between a 20" tall tank and 24" or more is how tall corals can grow before needing to be trimmed. I opted for a 21" tank vs 25" tall tank on my upcoming upgrade. I have a 21" tall Reefer 450 and like it. I can reach the bottom with out needing assistance. 

For taller tanks you have to consider light penetration (so more light compared to a shallower tank) and don't forget maintenance. Can you reach your arm and touch the bottom? Does your shirt or pits get wet? Depending on how you aquascape and where you place corals you should also consider shadowing. Much of the above is why longer and deeper is better than taller.

8 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

For taller tanks you have to consider light penetration (so more light compared to a shallower tank) and don't forget maintenance. Can you reach your arm and touch the bottom? Does your shirt or pits get wet? Depending on how you aquascape and where you place corals you should also consider shadowing. Much of the above is why longer and deeper is better than taller.

Good point. That's another reason I went with 21" vs 25" - I won't need to spend that much more to my additional lighting setup!

37 minutes ago, nburg said:

From what I have heard - only a sea horse really benefits from a tall tank - but i remember someone saying tangs can act weird in short tanks, like a frag tank. 

4 foot tank should be fine for something like a single smaller tang: yellow, tomini, kole, purple, one-spot foxface (close enough) etc. I think the difference in 3 foot to 4 foot is huge. 5 foot is a little better than a 4, 6 ft is a good deal better than a 5 (maybe some larger tangs and multiples), etc. 

IMO, difference between a 20" tall tank and 24" or more is how tall corals can grow before needing to be trimmed. I opted for a 21" tank vs 25" tall tank on my upcoming upgrade. I have a 21" tall Reefer 450 and like it. I can reach the bottom with out needing assistance. 

That's interesting. I've never looked into keeping seahorses, and I don't think I will. I have enough to keep up with on the coral and fish front. I know you like big tanks, is a 5 footer ideal for you?

22 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Ah, good call! That's a great point. I had considered that I would likely need a step ladder to work on a cube tank. The one I looked at was about 2.5 feet tall on a 36 inch tall stand, so we're talking 5.5 feet to the rim. I'm over 6 feet, but I would still need a boost to arrange anything on the sand bed unless I got a significantly shorter stand.

3 minutes ago, p3rmafrost said:

That's interesting. I've never looked into keeping seahorses, and I don't think I will. I have enough to keep up with on the coral and fish front. I know you like big tanks, is a 5 footer ideal for you?

I would love a 6 - 8' tank, just no room in my condo for one, lol. 5' gives me a lot of the big tank feel at lesser of a foot print. I would be cool with a 4' tank, but not 3' if that makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, nburg said:

I would love a 6 - 8' tank, just no room in my condo for one, lol. 5' gives me a lot of the big tank feel at lesser of a foot print. I would be cool with a 4' tank, but not 3' if that makes sense. 

Sure, that makes sense...you want to go gigantic but don't have the room, and you won't go under 4. I'm tracking ;)

My original thought was to look at 4 footers, but I may change course and look at 5. I was kind of stuck on capacity over size, but from what I gather, gallons make less of a difference than linear footage does.

I have a 4' tank and a smaller yellow tang. I also only have a few small fish in an 80 gallon, and tried to keep my scape as open as possible for swimming room coupled with great hiding spaces for sleeping and or a break. 

I find the ft rule of thumb to be pretty arbitrary. The logic is that tangs swim for hundreds of miles in a day, then what difference is 2'? Obviously go as big/long as you can go, and don't try to keep one in a 10 gallon, but if you're talking 4' to 6' being a make or break, I personally find it silly. 

55 minutes ago, p3rmafrost said:

Sure, that makes sense...you want to go gigantic but don't have the room, and you won't go under 4. I'm tracking ;)

My original thought was to look at 4 footers, but I may change course and look at 5. I was kind of stuck on capacity over size, but from what I gather, gallons make less of a difference than linear footage does.

You’re more than welcome to come by and look at the 5’ SCA150 I’m in the process of setting up.  Opens up the choices of fish even more. 

51 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I have a 4' tank and a smaller yellow tang. I also only have a few small fish in an 80 gallon, and tried to keep my scape as open as possible for swimming room coupled with great hiding spaces for sleeping and or a break. 

I find the ft rule of thumb to be pretty arbitrary. The logic is that tangs swim for hundreds of miles in a day, then what difference is 2'? Obviously go as big/long as you can go, and don't try to keep one in a 10 gallon, but if you're talking 4' to 6' being a make or break, I personally find it silly. 

I agree. From a logical view point, what's a foot? I would speculate that as long as they had room to swim around rock they could do laps around the tank all day long and get plenty of exercise.

That said, I am not stuck on getting a tang of any kind. Part of the planning process for me is making a tank that is large enough to accommodate most things. I like the idea of lots of small fish, to me it makes the tank feel vibrant. The tangs are beautiful, and I would enjoy having a few, but given the choice I would probably take 20 little guys over 3 or 4 big fellas. More than likely I will plan out a livestock list before I pick a tank and make sure that everything lines up.

40 minutes ago, epleeds said:

You’re more than welcome to come by and look at the 5’ SCA150 I’m in the process of setting up.  Opens up the choices of fish even more. 

Is that the beast that was in the garage when I picked up the light? It was still boxed up when I saw it. I might take you up on that if I'm back out your way. It's kind of a hike, but I do swing by capitol aquarium every once in a while. They usually have some good deals on larger colonies. I'll let you know when I'm headed that way.

I will say having a tang will help keep your rocks clean - I have a yellow tang that eats every type of macro algae I can find. Not a spec of algae in my display, while my frag tank has plenty. Tangs are probably the best member of a clean-up crew followed by either Mexican turbos or an urchin 

2 hours ago, p3rmafrost said:

Is that the beast that was in the garage when I picked up the light? It was still boxed up when I saw it. I might take you up on that if I'm back out your way. It's kind of a hike, but I do swing by capitol aquarium every once in a while. They usually have some good deals on larger colonies. I'll let you know when I'm headed that way.

Yup. I hope to have it wet this weekend. 

D2421BFD-3D4F-457F-8D8A-D69C4D8ACDF5.jpeg

I would say go as big as possible- I have had tanks from 15 gallons to my now 7’ 260 gallons- I also like a deeper tank- makes for more “ocean feel”-

That said- I have seen a bunch of amazing nano and smaller tanks as well- but for me once I had a 6’+ tank there was no turning back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk