question on plumbing extra tank into system

BowieReefer84

So I ended up with 220lb of dryrock, and want to put about 100lb in display and the rest in another container.

I am thinking I can T off the return pump (eheim 1260) then let it gravity feed back into the sump through some bulkheads/pvc. I realize this will recirculate some of the water before getting into display. I think a 29gal next to sump would work well and I could pack it with rock. Anyone have a setup like this? I am thinking I would use redundant oversized drains into sump to avoid any potential floods. I would use a 1/2" gate valve to make sure I can keep the flow low on the tee off along with unions to be able to take it offline easily if necessary. 

Any potential pitfalls?

All of this is on the unfinished side of my tank/basement.

I could also plumb it above the DT but is that even necessary?

Can you elevate the 29 gal a bit?  That would let you drill the end and put in a bulkhead that would drain back in to the sump.  It would be a nice cryptic refugium for all kinds of stuff eventually.

Sounds similar to what I had done. I ran a 185 into a 100 gallon rubbermaid, and back into the sump. I also had a 80 gallon frag tank plumbed into the rubbermaid. My focus was on a low nutrient system overkill on water volume which looked great in it's prime. I originally planned to stack the rubbermaid with rock but used marine pure blocks instead because I could get more flow through them. I also have a strong powerhead in the 100 gallon rubbermaid, and powerheads in the sump. I had two collection points with filter socks. All of the flow was to prevent detritus buildup and push into socks. I did have to be cautious on flooding and tuning in the event of power outage. 

You can always plumb an additional tank entirely in parallel with the display - new return pump (probably much smaller) and its own drain into the sump provided the tank is above the sump's water level.  This can be done basically as many times as you have space for, and while it's marginally more equipment, it makes removing or changing it pretty easy down the line.

9 hours ago, BtmDweller said:

Sounds similar to what I had done. I ran a 185 into a 100 gallon rubbermaid, and back into the sump. I also had a 80 gallon frag tank plumbed into the rubbermaid. My focus was on a low nutrient system overkill on water volume which looked great in it's prime. I originally planned to stack the rubbermaid with rock but used marine pure blocks instead because I could get more flow through them. I also have a strong powerhead in the 100 gallon rubbermaid, and powerheads in the sump. I had two collection points with filter socks. All of the flow was to prevent detritus buildup and push into socks. I did have to be cautious on flooding and tuning in the event of power outage. 

Yes, room for water to settle when power goes out or I turn off the return is def a concern for me. I guess if The tank with the rock is taller with a smaller footprint that would help. That makes me want to do something tall vs wide (so def not like a 40 breeder). Putting a powerhead in the sump is a good idea vs trying to get too much flow off the return. I am leaning towards a 29gal tank packed with rock (maybe even a sand bed since the DT will be BB). 

Just cautious a tank packed with rock and especially a sand bed will be a detritus collector raising nitrates and phosphates. I like the look of a sand bed in my display, but personally wouldn't do it on an attached tank. Even on a display it can be difficult to keep pretty.