Am I seeing things?

reeferindc

I haven’t had fish in a few years . The last time I had fish I recall yellow tangs selling for around $50 now it looks like everywhere I look they are $100(+) am I seeing this correctly ? Where are you guys buying tangs?

You aren't losing your eye sight sadly. After the Hawaii ban on most of their fish species the prices shot through the roof and sadly even with the ban ending on select species, the prices will probably stay up since they were still selling just fine at the higher price.

They have figured out how, and tank bred tanks are available (usually pretty small), but as I understand, it took years of attempts with a dedicated team to get consistent, albeit very low survival rate, results, and then some years more of adjusting the process to be commercially viable.

I think they have a pretty specific diet as larvae but also require a fair amount of flow, which can be difficult to do without bladed pumps, but maybe there are some actual papers out on it now.

Prices also went up across the board for covid (fewer flights meant MUCH more expensive air freight rates), and they both haven't recovered a lot and probably aren't likely to recover a lot more soon.