Killing Aptasia

davjbeas

I have 3 polyps of aptasia. one is very tiny, one is the size of a dime, the last one is the size of a quarter.

I found these options

Blue Vet 

Franks f-aptasia

Joes juice 

Red Sea aptasia x

I was thinking to turn off the pumps, treat the aptasia with "Aptasia-X". Then cover it with epoxy putty.

I am looking for advice.

Thanks in advance

Come to Fragfest and get your free bottle of F-Aiptasia

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

(edited)

I did look at that product as an option. There was actually a video on BRS showing how it works and how to use it. I won't be at frag fest. I might go that rout. I would need to turn off all pumps for 30 minutes. I get uneasy that the pumps might not start back up when the 30 minutes are up.

Edited by davjbeas

Sorry that we'll miss you. 

I met Frank at MACNA in Milwaukee. We talked about a few things and that's how I came to get close to 100 boxes of F-Aiptasia (some 2 oz and some 1 oz bottles) to share with the club at FragFest.

It works pretty well, too!  Not suited for aiptasia under overhangs, but anything facing up or in a crevice can be covered up pretty easily, and it's easy to apply with the included syringe.  I've heard from a number of people that it's one of the more reliable methods, though I haven't tried many other products to say for myself.  I have found that it's easy to miss aiptasia, so having a backup/cleanup option (or something that will eat them) as a follow up is probably not a bad idea.

I found this video that I want to share. Wamas members getting F-Aptasia at the meeting might find this helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I use berghia nudibranches. If the aiptasia are fairly small, they will eat them all up over a few days. I actually prefer berghias because they will get the aiptasia I can see as well as those I can’t see. The last time I did this, they ate them all and I never saw one again. 

Regarding my solution for the aptasia, one polyp was attached to the side of  a rock and one was attached underneath of a rock. So that kind of ruled out using the F-aptasia.

If the polyps were on top of a rock I could have used the F-aptasia. 

What I did was to poke the aptasia so it retracted. Using a 2" round flat epoxy putty with super glue all over one side and covering the area where the polyps were with the super glue side on the rock. Then pressing over the epoxy so it went firmly into the live rock. This method did not require the turning off of all the pumps.

Thanks for the link. It looks like they have some good size ones. But they are out of stock. I will keep them in mind if I need some in the future.

1 minute ago, davjbeas said:

Thanks for the link. It looks like they have some good size ones. But they are out of stock. I will keep them in mind if I need some in the future.

Sure thing--they have the .25 inch ones that are laying eggs, so they would work just fine if you have a moderate flow tank. 

I do have a moderate flow tank.

Right now I hope I got rid of them. I will be keeping a look out for new polyps to show up.

Happy Reefing