Cooltouchlighting dual 250 ballast

peacetypes

Hello,

i bought a ballast used and tried to fire it up today.  The ballast got real hot and the bulbs didnt fire at all.  Whats wrong?

Thanks a bunch

peace

Robert

One of the easiest ways to test the setup is to establish some "known goods".  Have you tried each bulb on each ballast?  Do you know the bulbs are good?  Do the mogul sockets have a loose conection?  If you can establish that something works or should work... then you can eliminate that from the list.  If the problem appears to be inside the box and with the ballasts themselves, my guess would be the capacitors.

no loose connections at all, the ballast seems to be working but just doesnt kick the bulb on. Ill switch bulbs and see what happens

thanks xeon

Robert

Robert,

I have seven, yes seven, Cooltouch ballasts and over time every single ones has failed due to a blown capacitor.  However I have never had two go out at once, that is kind of odd.

I bought a bunch of capacitors from the company a few months ago and they were $10 each, very reasonable.  I called yesterday to get more and they told me they were $45 and could not believe that I had bough them previously for $10.  I am not sure if they made a mistake when I bought them or what, but needless to say I am now trying to find them locally.