Vibrant controversy?

NoVaJimmy

Hello all! New to the forum and just came back into the hobby full swing after a little hiatus.

Since I’ve been back and researching all that’s changed it’s been really fun seeing how much has changed in the last 8 years.

One topic that seems to be coming up over and over again on various social media platforms and other outlets of discussion is about Vibrant from Underwater Creations Inc.

At the time I left the hobby I knew of a lot of fellow reefers using this product not only reactively but proactively and at the time it had a great reputation from what I remember.

So my question is, what gives?!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, welcome to WAMAS and welcome back to the hobby!

Nothing really changed with Vibrant as is still does what it claims… kills algae.  The issue is in how it achieves this.  They’ve always claimed this is done by their bacterial blend and that their product did not contain algaecides.  It is now believed that despite their claims, the product is primarily made up of an algaecide. 

I last heard the EPA was investigating them, but have not heard any statements yet from them about this issue

I have never heard of this stuff. I I believe in cleanup crew, including the "whole set up" including cucumbers, urchin, as well as  buying the correct amount for the size tank you have.

This is course after going through the nasty set up and everything else that a new tank goes through.

Just my 2 Cents

Curtis

• 4 weeks later...

Ah okay that clears up a lot. I wonder what the long term effects of the product are now that it seems it’s not completely a bacterial solution

I’m pretty sure alot of reefers have been using it for years however with no ill effects.

I assume the epa findings will come out sooner or later. Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

As someone that rehabilitates coral, I've had some nasty algae in my quarantine. I resorted to Vibrant on multiple occasions, educated on the side effects. It works - and yes, there are side effects. It has been about two years since I last used it, and I still can't keep any macroalgae (correlation... not necessarily the cause).

While it's not what it claimed to be, I still have a bottle. Would I use it again knowing that it is not what it claimed to be? Ehhh. I'd definitely weigh the pros and cons more and approach the problem with a more informed view.