Anyone else have a very bad experience with Chemiclean?

WheresTheReef

I won’t rehash the details I posted in my build thread (see below), but l had a pretty big loss of coral after a treatment of Chemiclean. I lost colonies, mini-colonies and nice frags of various euphyllia. Also lost some large acro colonies that I didn’t sell beforehand. Just curious if anyone else have a non reef safe experience too? 

I’ve used Chemiclean a few times.  The last time I used it in my mixed frag tank. Torches, hammers, mushrooms, and a few pieces of SPS everything was fine.  I used less than the recommended amount, ran carbon after two days and then did a 20% water change.  Ran the skimmer w/ cup off and I also added an air stone.  

I used Red Cyano RX, which I believe is basically the same stuff, and had a negative effect, but I think it may have been indirect and a bit of a cascade effect.  I lost two fish and the others and the corals appeared stress for a while, and while I had thought it was just a drop in dissolved oxygen, I now think it was either a direct effect on a sea cucumber or a secondary effect that killed a small yellow sea cucumber and that death killed the fish.

Can't be 100% sure, but I did a more recent treatment of the same tank with the same chemical, and I didn't even see a dip in dissolved oxygen during the treatment, though I did make sure to leave my skimmer going but with the water level all the way down to prevent overflowing.

I wonder if it's some kind of secondary effect - whether this chemical kills something specifically that not everyone has but who's death can hurt other organisms - because while I know of other losses in these treatments, I do see them widely reported as being safe and effective to use.  That being said, it seems like the fish losses in a few hours I experienced and the coral losses after several days you experienced are different enough in symptom and appearance that they may not be the same mechanism.