New tank what next?

Brian

Ok here's the deal. I have a friend that has a salt water tank and I have had many fresh water tanks do well so I decided to take the plunge. I have a 125 tank with a 55 sump I got from Mike at BRK. I bought a ASM G3 skimmer, Mag 18, 2 Boxes of salt (more than I need but better to have more than less), a 75 RO/DI filter, and might have a line on 2 x 400W MH lights. What next? I know I need sand and LR but not sure what is going to best to use. I have heard to use a Fuge but then have heard they are not worth it. The old owner Mike had Fuge and he said it was good to use. I have been looking through some of the posting here and getting totally confused on what to do next. :why: Some posting say to do this then others say to do this. Really buying items as money is available and not in a rush to put the tank together. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Step 1 - Do some research. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but research in advance pays off big in this hobby. Check out websites, read books, talk to people here, etc. Your post is a good start.

Step 2 - Decide what you want to keep. Do you want just fish? Metal Halide (MH) Lights, Reverse Osmosis (RO) filters , and calcium reactors probably aren't necessary. Do you want soft corals? Probably want the RO filters, still don't really need MH lights or the calcium reactor. Do you want SPS corals? Then RO filters, strong lights (not necessarily MH), and calcium reactors are items you should research more. Do you want a mix of all of the above? Welcome to the obsession, it can be done, but even more planning is required.

Step 3 - Design the system around the inhabitants you plan to keep. Yes, even more research.

Step 4 - Buy some basic test kits (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). You will need this for step 5. Also buy thermometer and tool for testing specific gravity (swing arm, float, or refractometer). If you are planning on keeping hard corals, buy test kits for calcium and alkalinity as well.

Step 5 - Set up and cycle your tank. You can start this now. It takes a while for your tank to cycle. If you don't know what I'm talking about, see step 1. Take advantage of this time to do steps 1 - 3.

Step 6 - Keep an eye out for extra equipment that you might like. Lots of it shows up for sale on this site (in the member only section). You can save a lot of money buying it here instead of new (hint for non-members).

Step 7 - SLOWLY start adding livestock. Just because your tank has cycled doesn't mean you can add 100 fish. The bacteria levels adjust to the existing load, throwing a bunch of new fish into a tank creates a huge stress that the tank is unlikely to be able to handle. Take your time and things will go much more smoothly.

Step 8 - ENJOY

Brian,

First off WELCOME!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Then with respect to your questions.

The next thing you want to do is make some decisions:

a) What do you want to keep (FO/Corals/Clams/etc and what types (i.e. SPS vs LPS vs Softies, etc).

b) What type of substrate you want (many people now do "BB" = Bare bottom = no substrate in the main tank. Others doa SSB = Shallow Sand Bed <4" and others do a deep sand bed 4-8"... each has it's pluses and minuses

The problem with the above is there is no RIGHT answer... Regardless of what you decide to do there are some things you can do along that path to help make things easier.

One of the best things to do might be to visit some tanks in your local area (I find many people are VERY willing (sometimes too willing) to talk about their experience)... It would help to put your exact location so people will know how close they are too you as we stretch membership from Baltimore to Frederick down south of DC in VA.

In regards to a fuge I'd like to talk to the person who doesn't think it's a good idea... I ALWAYS think a fuge is a good idea (one of the best & easiest ways to remove nitrates and phosphates).

Dave

Hey Brian,

I think i chit chatted with you at BRK when you picked up the salt.

Welcome to the boards.

Like everyone else has siad, you need to decide what you really want to keep. If you are going to do softies, LPS and zoas you will not need that 400 w light system.

First you need to cycle that tank. Decide what kind of bottom you want. Get the live rock in there and let it cycle for a month.

Let us know more so we can help you out.

Bob

Brian:

Internet sites can be more confusing than enlightening if you don't first have some basic background knowledge of what you are reading about, so I would start with some good books.

My recommendations (somewhat in order):

1. The Concientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner (http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bookreviews/fr/conmaraquristbr.htm)

2. Natural Reef Aquariums, by John Tullock (http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Reef-Aquariums-Simplified-Microcosms/dp/1890087009)

3. The New Marine Aquarium, A Step-By-Step Stocking Guide, by Michael Paletta

4. Reef Secrets, by Nilson & Fossa (also somewhat helpfull to get stocking plan started)

After you've read at least one of the first two, and you are ready for some corals:

5: Aquarium Corals, by Eric Borneman

All of the above are books that I have and would be glad to let you borrow (although Borneman's book would have to be on short loan).

I have also heard good things about:

Book of Coral Propogation by Anthony Calfo

Reef Invertebrates by Calfo & Fenner

Welcome Brian!

1. The Concientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner (http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bookreviews/fr/conmaraquristbr.htm)

3. The New Marine Aquarium, A Step-By-Step Stocking Guide, by Michael Paletta

Absolutely recommend both of those books. They are tremendously helpful (and will continue to be).

Ask lots and lots and lots of questions and reflect on the answers before jumping into anything. You're going to get a ton of input (some may be conflicting), but take that as a cue to do your own research.

Two more books you will find very helpful are the pocket expert guide to marine fishes and marine invertebrates by scott michael. Great references to have around. Also, I am in Alexandria and I have much of the same equipment on my reef that you listed. I would love to show off the tank a little and hopefully help explain some things.

Thomas

p.s. My email is chefthomasr@yahoo.com. Just let me know if you want to stop by sometime.

Really buying items as money is available and not in a rush to put the tank together. Any help is appreciated.

Perfect! That is probably the single best thing you could have said at this moment.

First off, welcome to WAMAS. Yeah you'll get contradictory answers on EVERYTHING, but bear in mind that everything's an opinion too. What works for others, may not work for you. Definitely read everything you can get your hands on. Absolutely attend meetings & tank tours, you'll learn a ton and see how some folks do it. Sounds like you've got some basic information already given you have a notion of what things you'll need. So what's the most important first few things to worry about?

* Water quality

* Water movement

* Lighting

You've also got to decide what you want to do. Jump into full scale reef? Start off with fish and do corals later? Start off with corals and do fish later? Softie corals? LPS corals? SPS corals? ... etc. Lots of decisions. Read read read, and when your eyes bleed, read some more. :) Then ask questions. And more questions. And then make really stupid mistakes like everyone else does just because nobody really listens well the first time. And learn. That's the way it goes :) Good luck!

I agree read the books, but also spend many hours while putting off social and hygenic, and professional needs and read threads like wamas and www.reefcentral.org, like all others welcome to the obsession, there is much to learn from the masters and veterans on this site, most have been though it all, and much to learn from the newbies who are going though it currently and can help you out with problems you may be going though. Make sure you go to others houses and see their set ups, possibly bring :cheers: , its a part of the hobby apparently :rollface:.

So far on these fourms there is no such thing as a stupid question :lol2: , well with in reason...

Have fun, and word from the wise that you will here over and over again from diffrent sources keep paticence, don't freak ever, stay chill, and OLNY BAD THINGS HAPPEN QUICKLY IN THIS HOBBY.

:bounce: HAVE FUN, AND WELCOME :bounce:

Lets see here.... I have a couple book that have been recommended but the names evade me rigth now.

I have the test kits from my freshwater tank as well as getting test kits for salt.

I live in the Gainesville area but I'm willing to drive to see other setups. (and I never come empty handed

:cheers: )

As far as live stock I know I have to have a to have at least a clown fish and anemone for my little one. As far as the rest of the tank unsure right now but I think I will make a decision before I even cycle the tank. There will be live rock to help expansion if I want to go with corals but not sure I want to get into that yet but want the ground work to be there.

Definitely going to have a sand bed at least 3" if not 6".

For now at least between myself and friend that has a salt water tank I have been picking up good buys when I can. If in the end it's something i don't need then either my friend or this board will see the benefits.

I have to have a to have at least a clown fish and anemone for my little one.

I'm no expert, so I'll defer to others, but a word of caution on this. From what I have read, you might want to consider the anemone carefully first. Clown fish do not need an anemone to thrive, I keep a clown and no anemone. My impression is that anemone do better in well established tanks, I wouldn't be inclined to put one in a brand new set up. Also, many people do not recommend keeping corals with an anemone. The problem as I understand it is that anemone can be very mobile and often wind up moving around and stinging corals to death in tanks. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get one, many people in this group are very successful with them and they are beautiful creatures. Just be aware that they are challenging to keep and may severely limit your stocking plan.

Ok Brian... now with a couple of answers here is some things to think & plan

1) Get the sand you want (there are a bunch of differnt styles and types) and then seed it with live sand from other members tanks... I think there is a sand calculator somewhere (hopefully someone will chime in with it) that says based on the size of the tank how much sand you need to make x" depth.

2) Start making salt water (with your RO/DI)... test salinity... then you can start buying rock

3) For LR I recommend used (look for tank breakdowns here or on Reef Central)... it'll be cheaper than buying new ($2-3/pd vs $6-8/pd) and then you can start cycling it

This will still give you a month or so before you want to start adding any livestock and you can continue your research.

Don't let lmeyer disuade from an anemone... but DO listen to his advice about the age of a tank.. they do much better in tanks that are 6-12 months old... newer tanks don't seem to have what it takes to support them.

As for the clown/anemone combo... Think about the actually clown type (there are a lot out there) and what type of anemone they pair with. Or start the other way with the anemoen (since it will be the harder creature to care for) and then the clowns.

Dave