Lighting Advice for SPS Mixed Reef Nano

AirickDubV

Hello,

I currently have a WB Mini Peninsula 25 set up with an AI Prime 16HD. Do you think this would be strong enough for a mixed reef with some SPS or should I upgrade? If upgrade, should I look at the Hydro 32HD or Radion XR15, or something else? Im open to any guidance.

The tank dimensions are:

23.6 (length) x 15.7 (width) x 15.7 (height).

I have about a 1” sandbed. I have the light mounted 11” above the surface as of now and I’m running the WB blueprint for a mixed reef.

I asked to be added to rent the clubs PAR meter, so as of now I can only go on advice/guidance from more experienced reefers.

Thanks,

Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it's going to be enough for SPS.  I've got an E170 which is not all that much larger in dimensions and with a single XR15 at 90+% total output for the height of the day, I could keep moderate light SPS alive near the sandbed, but only just and with little growth, and I didn't have enough light for full coloration on some acros half way up nor enough light to keep clams in the lower half of the tank... so I upgraded just a few days ago to an XR30.

Your tank would be a few inches shallower, so it should fare better, but I'd be looking in that general size class for keeping higher light requirement corals in that tank.  Of course, a lot of LPS and some SPS will still do fine in less, but I think the ~50W max consumption of the AI Prime 16HD is probably on the low side - if I was going to use it, I would just use two (and this would suit the tank shape, too.)

So you would recommend 2 prime 16s over upgrading to a more powerful light in this case?

Would I still have to run the lights at full intensity? I’ve heard horror stories about the lenses burning on this particular light so that has me freaking out as well!!

I think the coverage is going to be more even if the fixture is closer to the shape of your tank, and two smaller fixtures can be configured to fit more shapes and can be spaced out to reduce shadowing somewhat more.  I think a single XR15 would probably do fine, though if you want higher light corals on the sandbed, in either case you may find yourself running them fairly high output.

Just a single square/circular light in the center of the tank will give you only low light corals in the last couple of inches on the long side, which may be just fine, but there will be that sort of spotlighting effect.

I definitely want to keep lower light corals on my sandbed. I have a nice acan garden I’ve been growing out and would love to keep that along with my zoas.

I would love to place some SPS on the top of my live rock (stylos, birds nest, acros scare me!). I’d also love to have something encrusting on one of my rocks on the sandbed such as a sunset monti.

I’m just not sure if a single AI Prime 16HD would work. I’m not looking at a purely sps dominated tank, and no SPS on the sand….if that helps with any guidance?

My live rock doesn’t go that high, about halfway…but I wouldn’t be opposed of adding height if that could help too….

Two AI 16 primes would be fine, especially with the type of SPS you mentioned you would want to keep. I gave a digi frag to a friend who has a similar sized tank that is only halfway lit with one AI 16 prime and it's growing like a weed, along with some frogspawn and RBTA's on that side of the tank. 

If you're looking to do it cheaper and light that tank up like a christmas tree, check out the ocean revive arctic t247's FS in the FS section. One of those lights would take care of your tank, but at that price grab them both and keep absolutely anything. Here is a TOTM with the old Ocean Revive technology that was from 2014, and this is before it was jam packed with colorful SPS. 

I do not have any experience with that light at all. I just saw videos online and I’d be scared I’d flub that up!

The next issue I would have if I mount 2 AIs would be is there some sort of DIY kit to mount 2 lights on 1 fixture (keep in mind I’m not handy at all haha!)

Just now, AirickDubV said:

I do not have any experience with that light at all. I just saw videos online and I’d be scared I’d flub that up!

How would you mess that up? It's light, it grows things. 

2 minutes ago, AirickDubV said:

The next issue I would have if I mount 2 AIs would be is there some sort of DIY kit to mount 2 lights on 1 fixture (keep in mind I’m not handy at all haha!)

Google is your friend. There are several clamp bracket style arms and flexible clamp arms as well. Plug, clamp, and play.

If you want to go with a hanging style kit or track mounted, then be prepared to get handy! I think this looks cleanest. 

I had 1 AI Prime HD (not the 16HD) on my previous WB PM15. I think if you set your rock work up with the right expectations you can do it.  If your light is centered, make sure your rock has the high point at the center of your tank and put the SPS there. The issue you have is that it's a peninsula so you'll want the light to clamp at the chamber. If you add a 2nd Prime, where are you going to put it? Your alternative is to clamp it on the glass. You can hang it independently of course. Again, it's more then just lighting. It's the rest of your setup that completes your recipe for success.

That was kind of my point, that it’s a peninsula so im limited in mounting, especially if I keep my lid on.

I’ve googled and I can’t seem to find anything for dual AI Primes without the need for handy DIY skills. Some have had success mounting it to an HMS mount, others not so much as the bolt slips out and light lands in the tank!

The 2 lights and the limited space is why initially I thought maybe getting a more powerful light may be the better option, but on reef2reef and some FB posts, Im being told that an XR15 may not even be sufficient….

As I mentioned, it's not all about lighting. Both the Primes and the XR15 will work as long as you set up your tank properly. None of the lights will give you wall to wall coverage but if you set up your rock/sps under the lights and higher, you'll be fine. Will an xr30 be better? of course! but that's not what you're asking.

If you wanted acros in every corner of your tank, an XR15 wouldn't do it.  If you want them in the area under the light, sure it will work.  If you want them halfway up the tank, directly under your Prime HD16, just that one will work, but the edges of your tank will be only dimly lit, probably to the point that only low light level corals will be able to survive there.

Your current light would do fine if the tank was half the length, as you should be able to manage high light corals in the center under it and moderate light corals most other places, but at 11 inches off the tank, if your light is wide enough angle to cover all of it, the light will be much more diffuse and as much as 25% of the total output will just be dumped out on either side of the tank because of its shape, and you'll have trouble keeping more than moderate light requirement corals even in the center under the spot, I'd think.

1 hour ago, AirickDubV said:

That was kind of my point, that it’s a peninsula so im limited in mounting, especially if I keep my lid on.

I also have a peninsula. None of this is complicated. This is not a jab at you personally, but a lot of what this hobby has done for me is inspired the confidence to become more DIY confident, and I'd like to help others/new reefers achieve this as well. 

You're only limited by yourself, there are so many options. 

1 hour ago, AirickDubV said:

I’ve googled and I can’t seem to find anything for dual AI Primes without the need for handy DIY skills. Some have had success mounting it to an HMS mount, others not so much as the bolt slips out and light lands in the tank!

Here is a hanging mount for the AI Primes.

If you have ever used a drill before, that is literally the biggest step you have to take here. Drill a hole in your ceiling, push the toggle bolt through, you should be able to hold 20lbs off that, and the AI prime is not 20lbs. It will look clean AF, and when you want to remove it, unscrew the toggle bolt, the clasp stays in the ceiling, fill with crest toothpaste. Or spackling putty, or whatever. If you're renting, most places will patch any holes that are a dime sized or smaller.