Need fish stocking suggestions

howaboutme

Just started a ~ 26G DT, dimensions ~ 30"x18x12" so it's shallow. It has a minimalist rock structure with some crevices, holes. It's almost 100% SPS, has 2 clowns, a BTA, a couple of RFA's and a sexy shrimp. I have a lid. I'm wanting 2, maybe 3 more colorful fish to fill this tank out. They will need to be able to handle high flow. Not looking for traditionally difficult fish to keep, must eat dry and frozen.  I've looked at the LA page and have some thoughts but wanted to just get some advice from the community.

My initial thoughts include some of the basics like firefish and basslets. I would love swimmers but not sure my tank is big enough so hoverers are okay.

None exclusive list:

- Firefish (any)

- Royal Gramma basslet

- Yellow banded possum wrasse (love wrasses but afraid my tank is a bit too shallow and would invite a ton of jumping)

- Chalk bass

- Assessors (any) basslet

- Orchid dottyback

- Others?

As you can see, I'm all over the place. Any thoughts/suggestions welcome!

Here's the tank:

3EGcSR2.jpg

I'm a fan of the possum wrasse too, but while I haven't kept one, I have the impression they would appreciate more spots to hide than that scape suggests.

Either a shrimp goby or something with a similar shape could be cool, especially alongside a pistol shrimp.  Quite some variety to choose from and the fish are likely out and visible most of the time.

I've really enjoyed a couple of sharknose gobies in my tank - though really keeping one in the space is probably a better idea because they can be territorial to others of their species.  They will sit and wait at their cleaning station and if you come up to the tank they will do a little wiggle and then swim over to you, assuming you are a fish in need of a clean.

A clown goby could be good too, another small, energetic, but perching fish like the sharknose goby, but they can eat SPS, so small frags would be a no-no.

A lot of the cardinals will be in the water column all the time but don't swim around much. Pajama cardinals get big, banggais less so, but something like a flame cardinal or an orange line cardinal would be a pretty relaxed fish that can do well in small groups or pairs and are a reasonable size for a smaller tank.

One of the smaller algae blennies could be neat too - not always colorful but usually with neat patterns and while they wouldn't be in the water column much, they don't seem to be shy about being out and doing their thing.

There are even a few damsels that look nice and can actually get along with other fish, but maybe someone with some experience there can chime in - I haven't had a true damsel in one of my tanks yet.

Hey! Thanks for your thoughts. I'm opening up my research into some blennies. Agree about cardinals. Some are pretty cool.

Anyone have hawkfish experience that will not eat my sexy shrimp?

I'd stay away from hawkfish but the geometric (pygmy) hawkfish is a great little fish with a ton of personality.   They are technically anthias but do well on their own and are shrimp safe (as safe as anything...sexy shrimp are small).

A tailspot blenny is another great small safe fish.  The possum wrasse is a great little addition.  I'm a huge fan of the shrimp goby/shrimp relationship in a small tank as stated above.

Might be worth looking at a biota/ora mandarin that is actually eating pellets.  They come in tiny so would probably do best in this size tank, though if not eating pellet, will outgrow the system/outstrip the microfauna.  I also like small pipefish but same issue with microfauna.  

tank looks great so far!

Thanks Roni!

I love the pygmy hawkfish. I just have to weight the risks. My sexy shrimp is not so tiny anymore but still small. I agree w/ shrimp/goby pair. I had a good pair in my last tank but it took awhile for them to get situated. I also was not a big fan of not seeing the pistol (did hear it). Nothing's worse then spending money on something you don't see. :laugh:

• 1 year later...

Alright. I want to add one more fish. See tank specs in first post. Suggestions?

Fish now:

- 2 x clowns

- 2 x firefish

- 1 blue randalls assessor

I know that some fish from the initial list may be no-go's because of my current stock. I'd like something that stays out.. I basically only see the filefish about 2 or 3 hrs a day so I really only have 3 fish that I see at any one time.

Maybe some cardinal fish? Wrasse? How about the hawkfish? Something that doesn't grow too big. Thanks in advance.

I got a Rainford's Goby for the frag tank, and it's slowly become one of my favorite fish. It's very tiny currently, but super colorful. 

18 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I got a Rainford's Goby for the frag tank, and it's slowly become one of my favorite fish. It's very tiny currently, but super colorful. 

Oh, that's a nice one. Thanks. I guess this question may not be so much for you because it's in your frag tank but does it hide more than not? Ideally, I'd want a fish that will be out most of the time.

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

Oh, that's a nice one. Thanks. I guess this question may not be so much for you because it's in your frag tank but does it hide more than not? Ideally, I'd want a fish that will be out most of the time.

There are lots of hiding spots in the frag tank, which should be in quotations, because it's not really a frag tank. 

At first it was very shy, now it's out and about. I just turned around and it's front and center. 

A midas blenny might be a nice addition to that setup. They're colorful, don't need a lot of room, reef safe, and have an interesting way of swimming. I'd also suggest some type of goby/mandarin/dragonet or something that spends most of its time on the sand bed to add a little dimension to the tank. If you're considering other inverts, a harlequin shrimp would be super cool (as long as you're okay feeding it starfish).

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

There are lots of hiding spots in the frag tank, which should be in quotations, because it's not really a frag tank. 

At first it was very shy, now it's out and about. I just turned around and it's front and center. 

Thanks Isaac. Just to confirm. It doesn't need a burrow to live happily? I'm out of burrows...lol.

18 minutes ago, TheDistrictReef said:

A midas blenny might be a nice addition to that setup. They're colorful, don't need a lot of room, reef safe, and have an interesting way of swimming. I'd also suggest some type of goby/mandarin/dragonet or something that spends most of its time on the sand bed to add a little dimension to the tank. If you're considering other inverts, a harlequin shrimp would be super cool (as long as you're okay feeding it starfish).

Thanks! The Midas Blenny sure is pretty. Do you think it'll get along with my firefish? Liveaquaria's description hints that it may be aggressive towards them (likely because of similar body shapes?).

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

Thanks Isaac. Just to confirm. It doesn't need a burrow to live happily? I'm out of burrows...lol.

Thanks! The Midas Blenny sure is pretty. Do you think it'll get along with my firefish? Liveaquaria's description hints that it may be aggressive towards them (likely because of similar body shapes?).

Ah Good question. Mine was a model citizen but was never kept with any firefish. From what I'm seeing on R2R, there might be a little nipping here and there. Sounds like there's some potential for stress.

15 hours ago, TheDistrictReef said:

Ah Good question. Mine was a model citizen but was never kept with any firefish. From what I'm seeing on R2R, there might be a little nipping here and there. Sounds like there's some potential for stress.

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. Will continue to research.

I have a Royal Gramma. They're common, but they are colorful, and mine has quite a personality. It was shy for a few weeks, then gradually made his/her way out more often. Now it spends most of the day cruising the tank. The purple and yellow colors are a nice contrast to the orange clowns. Funny thing about mine - it used to sleep under a montipora shelf, but for some reason it comes out a lot at night now. If I check on the tank before bed it usually pops out and swims around. Cool fish.

Another one to look at might be a dragonet. I have a male mandarin dragonet, he has been super easy for me. I loaded the tank with pods and he eats like a champ. He also goes for some of the frozen mysis shrimp when I feed the other fish in the morning. He's colorful, peaceful, non destructive, and pretty easy to find. I got mine over at Centreville aquarium for around $40. With your minimal rock work you should be able to see it most of the time. Mine doesn't hide much. It actually sleeps in the open under a little cliff on the sand bed.

3 hours ago, p3rmafrost said:

I have a Royal Gramma. They're common, but they are colorful, and mine has quite a personality. It was shy for a few weeks, then gradually made his/her way out more often. Now it spends most of the day cruising the tank. The purple and yellow colors are a nice contrast to the orange clowns. Funny thing about mine - it used to sleep under a montipora shelf, but for some reason it comes out a lot at night now. If I check on the tank before bed it usually pops out and swims around. Cool fish.

Another one to look at might be a dragonet. I have a male mandarin dragonet, he has been super easy for me. I loaded the tank with pods and he eats like a champ. He also goes for some of the frozen mysis shrimp when I feed the other fish in the morning. He's colorful, peaceful, non destructive, and pretty easy to find. I got mine over at Centreville aquarium for around $40. With your minimal rock work you should be able to see it most of the time. Mine doesn't hide much. It actually sleeps in the open under a little cliff on the sand bed.

Thanks Loren! Love the coloring of the royal gramma. I'll have to do some research on if this will gel w/ my other basslet. I know fish like the dotty back won't.

I've always wanted a mandarin but the higher maintenance requirements have always stopped me. I would prefer to have to no worry about yet another thing, which would be "does my tank have enough pods". I suppose I can get one that already eats frozen/pellets. Appreciate the thoughts!

3 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Thanks Loren! Love the coloring of the royal gramma. I'll have to do some research on if this will gel w/ my other basslet. I know fish like the dotty back won't.

I've always wanted a mandarin but the higher maintenance requirements have always stopped me. I would prefer to have to no worry about yet another thing, which would be "does my tank have enough pods". I suppose I can get one that already eats frozen/pellets. Appreciate the thoughts!

Honestly, with my dragonet, I add pods about every 3 months. It really isn't much of hassle, I generally grab a bottle whenever I pick up more frozen food. They aren't anywhere near as bad as some posts make them out to be. I figured the little guy was going to be tough to keep happy, but he's been painless. I totally understand not wanting to have another thing to worry about. It has certainly steered me away from things (like sun corals).