Moving tips/ideas

bues0022

So it’s looking like I’ll be moving at some point this summer. Not because of the housing boom - divorce. ? I have a 30 cube pretty decently stocked. In the new house I’ll be setting up my 130 gallon cube. The move is likely going to be a mess, so what do you all suggest the best way to do this?

I don’t really want to move the 30 cube and set it back up - just to tear it down and setup the big tank. I also don’t think setting up the 130 is going to be a quick weekend thing - given everything else that goes into moving.

I’m in a pickle. What would you do?

Personally. I would sell everything that you can easily replace livestock wise. That way there is less of a chance of things dying during the move. Only keep what you want and move the 30 gallon. Then take your time and set up the 130. Once it’s stable, transfer the 30 over and sell the set up if you don’t need it. 

If you have the time and flexiblity - setup the new tank 2 or more weeks before your move. Then you can bring the livestock over into a newly cycled tank.

Downside is running two tanks at 2 locations for the transition period.  I did that when I moved long distance - worked out well.

@davidm - I've thought of that. I'm not sure how much overlap I'll have. I also want to do a NSA aquascape for the new tank, so I'll have to wait until new tank is in new location until I know how to aquascape it. I'm also nearly certain I'll have some stand modifications for the new space as well. I'm really thinking there's a month of messing around before the tank gets wet - then a new cycle with new dry rock/sand. It'll be a bit.

@epleeds - I'm thinking this might actually be the best option. Sell off common/easy stuff. Keep things I really like, simplify down the tank a lot and do the 130 right. I think the biggest thing here will be water availability on move day, but when that time comes I'll give a shout out here to see about borrowing additional buckets.