Science fair project

dzekunoi

My daughter (she is in the 7th grade) wants to do a science fair project based on my tank.

Anybody can recommend us anything? I can not come up with anything simple and interesting.

The only idea I have now is mushrooms propagation - observing regeneration etc.

Any idea is welcome and appreciated!

how about system parameters? perhaps more into the chemistry of the water related to PH, NH3/NH4, NO, etc? Maybe a table and comparison of chemical levels and their impact on salt water. She can put test tubes with PH and ALK and others, you know all those nice colors we get when performing water parameters... colors always call the attention of those researching and or learning.

on the other hand, how about fish compatability? List of aggressive,, semi-aggressive and docile fish living in reef eco systems ? You can use pictures and maybe a small tank on display with one or two fish

and one more. maybe the use of Live Rock as a filter versus a mechanical filter in a reef system? again you can use a small tank with the LR and another with a mechanical filtration showing the difference.

hope this helps

Jacob

Thanks!

Those are good ideas!

I really like idea of live rock filtration - can show differences in chemistry in live rock and no live rock systems.

THEN we can have colorful test tubes (parameters) AND interesting little tank AND good conclusion!

My stepdaughter is in 5th grade and my son is 1 1/2 yrs old, and I can't wait for sciene fair experiments!

What about designing an experiment to answer one of the many not-fully-resolved questions in the reefkeeping world? I remember a study not to long ago comparing the effect of "reef safe" medicines on xenia. Ahh, here it is . . . http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/sp/feature/index.php. I'm not suggesting that she simply copy that one, but that type of thing seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to replicate. I'm sure some equipment could/would be donated from within the club for a worthy cause such as this.

Here's a thought: compare the growth of hair algae under (1) different color temperature bulbs of the same wattage; (2) different salinities; (3) different alk levels; (4) different temperatures; etc. . . Just pick a variable and test for it. I thought of hair algae because it is cheap and easy to find and you might be able to measure its growth by weight as well as observation.

She would have to do some research to generate a hypothesis, then design an experiment with appropriate controls, variables, etc. . . . Sounds like fun to me!

and let us know how we can help out!

Thanks! I might need help

My stepdaughter is in 5th grade and my son is 1 1/2 yrs old, and I can't wait for sciene fair experiments!

What about designing an experiment to answer one of the many not-fully-resolved questions in the reefkeeping world? I remember a study not to long ago comparing the effect of "reef safe" medicines on xenia.

I can not wait to start too! So much fun!

And I remember this study too. Would make a nice project. As well as your suggestions on hair algea, as well as she can grow halimeda, chaeto or other algea under different conditions.

Maybe we should research effect of pollution (different) on snails. Hm, so many choices!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Inna, sorry, I haven't been very active on the boards for quite some time. Here's one that would be neat to do (well, from a fish geek perspective that is). There's that old debate of the differences between silica and aragonite sand - buffering, microfauna, etc. You could definitely create something with this.

Hmm.. when I was doing science fair projects the teachers always told me to think in the context of "the effect of blah on blah" and make sure I could do a control case.

What about a series of tanks (small) with the same water change schedule -- taking water from your main tank for instance. Keep same temp/lighting on each small tank. Alter kalk. Track the growth rate of some kind of coral with different kinds of kalk rates. Or ... alter lighting. Or ... alter water temperature...