Auto RODI filling options?

razzpatazzz

Is anyone using an automated tool to fill their brute trash can whenever it gets low and stop it when it gets high? Right now I'm thinking about using a pair of neptune optical sensors + solenoid to do it but was wondering if there are cleaner ways to do it

Avast Marine has a product called a Barrel Tender V2 that is designed for this purpose.  I haven’t personally used one but heard good things about their products.

I put a float switch near the bottom of my water tank and connected it to my apex. When the water level hit the switch it opened a Neptune solenoid for 3 hours to fill it. To prevent overflows my RO had an auto-shutoff and the input line to the tank went through a float valve to make sure it didn’t overflow. I also had the program fill the tank every Saturday regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/12/2021 at 8:22 PM, ReefAddict said:

Avast Marine has a product called a Barrel Tender V2 that is designed for this purpose.  I haven’t personally used one but heard good things about their products.

Thanks, I didn't know about it I'll check it out.

On 3/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, elwallacejr said:

I put a float switch near the bottom of my water tank and connected it to my apex. When the water level hit the switch it opened a Neptune solenoid for 3 hours to fill it. To prevent overflows my RO had an auto-shutoff and the input line to the tank went through a float valve to make sure it didn’t overflow. I also had the program fill the tank every Saturday regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when you use the solenoid, do you only shutoff the output valve and let the backpressure shut off the waste production? Or do you shut off the input

4 minutes ago, razzpatazzz said:

So when you use the solenoid, do you only shutoff the output valve and let the backpressure shut off the waste production? Or do you shut off the input

The solenoid is attached to the product water outlet before it hits the tank with the float valve.  The solenoid would automatically be powered on Saturday morning fill the tank and when the float valve on the tank applied enough back pressure, the RO's auto shutoff would kick in.  At a defined interval the outlet would get powered off so when the water level dropped the solenoid provided the back pressure.   I remember reading that the solenoid had a 'working pressure' limit and I think my home water pressure exceeded that number which was why I didn't put it on the RO Input line.  The only thing I didn't like about this was that I always had a pressurized RO system and I didn't know if that would have any adverse effects on the RO Unit.  For that reason I also had a manual valve on the input line that I'd sometimes (as in if I remembered) shut off on Sunday and turn it back on on Friday.